Anybody Recognize This Rod (Gurrieri)?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Anybody Recognize This Rod (Gurrieri)?

Post by Deepfins791 »

I recently picked this rod up, but have no idea who "Gurrieri" is. I was told he was a rod builder way back in the day in the NYC area. The rod is a heavyweight 6-sided bamboo rod with an unusual set of roller guides. Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
John

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Anybody Recognize This Rod (Gurrieri)?

Post by john elder »

Nick will know this fellow! I'm pretty sure he has a couple of these rods....at least the grip is wrapped similarly on his!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

The only thing I can tell you with 100% accuracy, John, is that is one of the coolest rods Ive ever seen!
-Chris R.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

The wood working on the butt is very similar to a trolling rod I have that was made by “Gliebe” of New York. So I would say the N.Y. connection ( or area of the country) would be accurate.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Your butt section may have been made by Gurrieri, there’s a very good possibility. Over the years I’ve owned many rods by him and are in the process of having a few rebuilt as we speak. OK from what I’ve been told the company was located in Queens or Long Island City NY and were in business from the early teens to the early 40’s when they close shop. The company made very intricately carved butt sections and sold them to quite a few NYC rod builders. They’re also easily ID by the obnoxious felt braided grip. I’ve been in contact with a couple early east coast rod builders that can remember the company and still have many of their butt sections! No sooner than the rods are completed I’ll be sure to forward photos to JT. In the meantime I do have an unmarked Gurrieri big game rod that’s part of a sick 18-0 Hoessel outfit! The rods that are being refinished are both signed but 1 versions with a full name/address label and the guides are a different style unlike the version above. They’re tall wire like almost early Fin Nor like, pre rollers.... The rod shaft at 1st glance could be miss ID as Tycoon but the label sets it apart......i’ll be sure to send pictures. Tight lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thanks a bunch for the information, Nick. That is very interesting. Yes, I would love to see photos of your rods, and that Hoessel must be a beast! I'll be passing through New York City mid-September on my way to PEI to go bluefin tuna fishing, visiting with John Taylor and some other collectors along the way. Would love to invite myself over to your place for a visit.

John B.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I'll have to think about it! The last time someone came by it cost me a Kovalovsky cradle and a Stead big game gimbel.....
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!