Meek & Milam fishing reel appraisal

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RHowse65
Big ORCA Fan

Meek & Milam fishing reel appraisal

Post by RHowse65 »

I recently found a few fishing reels in an old farm house. One little brass on and maybe stainless steel ones, unsure of the material on the shiny' er ones. Turns out the brass one is a Meek & Milam with a number one stamped in the side, but doesn't have the one and two stamped into the screws like others I have seen. I watched a video where a guy in Kentucky said the early ones we're brass and later the silver ones we're plated with "coin silver" (zinc/copper/brass). Mine has a number one stamped into the side, so I was thinking it maybe a first run/model, but you guys probably know more about it then I do. I will post images tomorrow as it's too dark to take them now.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: Meek & Milam fishing reel appraisal

Post by Bill Muth »

You certainly will have a lot people interested in your follow-up post. A Meek & Milam No. 1 is a very nice and rare reel.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
RHowse65
Big ORCA Fan

Post by RHowse65 »

I have the images
Last edited by kyreels on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bad link
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The number 1 refers to the diameter size, and was typically the smallest model used for trout (although there are a few size “0” out there.)

I’ll defer to my restoration compadres, but your No.1 looks like it is made of German silver that has tarnished with a nice patina. It doesn’t appear brass to me but it’s tough to determine without personal examination. I would gently clean it, but definitely not polish the reel. The ivory (?) grasp looks right, although the screw holding it appears loose from the photos.

No. 1 German silver Meek & Milam reels are very collectible and the auction prices for Kentucky reels appear to have strengthened after a sluggish decade. In my opinion the reel would have an auction estimate of $2800 to $3500, with a 10% increase if it was indeed brass.
Last edited by Mike N on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

if it was indeed brass.
Mike, I think you mean German silver.
Rick, one way to determine the metal is to very carefully remove some screws. The threaded ends of German silver screws normally will not have tarnished to that yellowish, brass-looking condition.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steve wrote:
if it was indeed brass.
Mike, I think you mean German silver.
Not really, Steve. Although the brass reels were less expensive when sold in the Meek or Milam catalogs, I perceive the brass reels to be more scarce today (especially in the No. 1 size) and demanding a small premium now. That’s an an intuitive guess on my part and I don’t have any ready empirical data to support it besides my observations of Kentucky reel prices (German silver v. brass) over the years.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

intuitive guess on my part
Interesting surprise, but your intuitive guess is better than mine. :idea: I've just always assumed that GS versions of anything at all command a premium over the brass versions. But...good food for thought.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike/Steve, based on past Langs auctions, i have to agree with Steve that brass will bring less than nickel silver versions... probably 30% less. The nickel silver has been going for appr 1800-2k with vig and brass less. The reel in question also lacks numbered holes and/or screws, which i suspect would be needed to get that value up. Just my thoughts!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

In my humble opinion, value of KY reels is not based solely on German silver vs. brass. As a buyer, to me the most important thing is the reel's condition. German silver vs. brass does not tell the whole story. Personally, if I had the option to buy a German silver or brass KY of equal excellent condition, I would choose the brass one. They are scarcer than the German silver ones and they look cooler. I can't speak to a comparison of reels of poor or modified condition (i.e. filed foot) since I would not be interested in buying them.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:...Personally, if I had the option to buy a German silver or brass KY of equal excellent condition, I would choose the brass one. They are scarcer than the German silver ones and they look cooler.
I agree.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D so how come you both passed on this little numbered screw 12 o’clock brass gem at Harpers Ferry??

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

German silver or brass KY...They are scarcer than the German silver ones...I agree.
Are you guys generalizing about all Kentuckys? This thread is about a Meek & MIlam. We've seen the Snyders, and I doubt there are a lot of GS JF&BFs around. Other makers?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Nothing like a pyramid of brass Kentucky reels and a GS JF & BF to make you spit your coffee all over the computer in the morning. Nice pics Ron!
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Great, great photo, Ron.

A little more data from a photo of my No. 1 Kentucky reel collection in 1992. As the caption from the American Fly Fisher article indicates, of the 7 reels I’m holding, 6 were German silver and only one was brass.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RHowse65
Big ORCA Fan

Post by RHowse65 »

Well thank you Gentleman, I had completely forgot about this post. I will be putting it up this week coming up, look for it this Sunday.
RHowse65
Big ORCA Fan

Post by RHowse65 »

Thanks to ebay and paypal telling me I have to have a business account to sell on ebay, I have decided to do private sales or local craigslist., I will list it here then we can go from their.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

You would get the best price and level of interest listing it here, IMO. Craigslist would be an utter waste of time.
Mark
RHowse65
Big ORCA Fan

Post by RHowse65 »

your right, sale is pending to RonG as we speak
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RHowse65 wrote:your right, sale is pending to RonG as we speak
Great! Glad ORCA members could help. Please consider a small donation to ORCA’s non-profit website to keep Reel Talk running.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990