EVH boat rod for restoration

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

EVH boat rod for restoration

Post by sdlehr »

Picked up the subject of the title a few weeks ago, emailed a noted member and tackle historian but got no response so I'm polling the group to try to figure out what I've got here. I looked in several EVH catalogs with no clear match.

Any help or hint of a clue is appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by sdlehr on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: EVH boat rod for restoration

Post by john elder »

Sid, check for a number stamped in the metal below the foregrip. These rods usually were stamped to indicate size... maybe a 5? What are its dimensions??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Look in the 1934 catalog Library ref #0018. The agate guides were optional and shown separately on page 44. The same sort of tip is shown on page 47. The locking reel band is shown on page 39. It is hard to match the rod model without seeing the whole thing and how it is assembled.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Sorry, I went back and edited the post to include the length - 66” - but apparently didn’t repost when I was done. Will look for that number at the top of the reel seat tonight when I get back home.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, the number i was thinking about is shown on the lower bracket of the reel seat... on my rod, no. 4. There is also a four digit (well, 3 digits and a letter) number in the location i indicated above on mine. Your rod is probably earlier and may lack these numbers, but its worth a look in both places

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, John. I know there’s nothing like what you pictured on my rod, I looked for numbers after I got it. I couldn’t have missed anything so large and prominent. But I’ll be home in an hour and will pull out the magnifying loupe and check again to be sure.
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Confirmed, no numbers. That would've been too easy.... :)

Paul, I had found those pages in the '34 catalog; the locking reel band is of a slightly different style, and the 66" rod is nowhere to be found, at least not in split bamboo.
Sid Lehr
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

This rod is very similar to the ones pictured in the 1918 EVH catalog and listed as the one-piece and independent butt rods. There were four different 66" rods listed (the only ones in the catalog) I believe this one is the "Heavy Bass, Yellowtail or Surf Rod" Model 102. It was sold in three "calibres" and distinguished by weight (A: 10.5 - 11.5 ounces, B: 11.5 - 13 ounces, C: 13 - 14 ounces).
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Teal wrote:This rod is very similar to the ones pictured in the 1918 EVH catalog and listed as the one-piece and independent butt rods. There were four different 66" rods listed (the only ones in the catalog) I believe this one is the "Heavy Bass, Yellowtail or Surf Rod" Model 102. It was sold in three "calibres" and distinguished by weight (A: 10.5 - 11.5 ounces, B: 11.5 - 13 ounces, C: 13 - 14 ounces).
OK, I found the page you were referencing, it's here

Having looked closely at the diagrams, I've applied Kroil to where I believe the ferrule to be, so perhaps tomorrow I can separate the butt from the tip and weigh the two in an attempt to learn which of these it is (I had been under the impression there was no ferrule and this was a one-piece rod). I'm confused by the use of "One-piece and Independent butt rods". Does "one-piece" refer to the tip only? The butt is 17" long, so this may actually be No 101 (listed with a 16-1/2" butt), with the butt cap being of a slightly different style than what is in the catalog picture.

Thank you Dr. Todd, I think I'm getting closer.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So, mine must be a later model where they have added the additional marking. The tip is marked 101A, so must be a later version of the Weakfish/striper rod shown in the 1918 catalog above. Mine is bamboo, with single guides as is yours, Sid and both lack the intermediate wraps shown in the catalogue. I don't see any ghosts to indicate mids on my rod in the past, so they presumably show that change in the catalogs.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

John, is the butt cap on yours the same as mine or more like the one in the catalog? I'll accept yours is a later model than mine, but not that it is later than the catalog..... at least not from what we know in this conversation. Is the butt on yours also 17"? Can you post a pic of the butt cap? Also, can you show me where the ferrule is on yours? I still haven't gotten mine apart. Thanks.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Looks like the catalog butt cap but both are different than yours by a bit. I was mistaken about mid ghosts... my rod, and probably yours, used to have mids.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Yeah, mine has mid ghosts now that I look hard enough.
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I weighed mine, and knowing the butt weighs 7.5oz I got the tip at 8.1 oz making mine the 101B. I still haven't gotten the tip separated from the butt, even applying heat with a heat gun to the butt at the ferrule. I'll try again tomorrow.
Sid Lehr