An unexpected gift...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

An unexpected gift...

Post by Mike N »

Last week I posted on the “wanted” link an interest in buying some late 19th hardwood rods to display a few period reels. Well, in today’s mail I received from our good friend Dr. John Elder, a gorgeous 3-piece hardwood rod (see photos) as a gift. I quickly mounted an early engraved British reel Good friends are the best part of our hobby. Thanks, John. [I might also add here that at the ORCA National meet I had admired a beautiful cased rod on Ron Gast’s table which I knew my son would love. Alas, I was a little too frugal to spring for the $200 asking price. At the end of the meet, Ron came over and said, “here, I want you to have this,” and gave me the antique wooden case with the rod. Unreal.]

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Re: An unexpected gift...

Post by joe klaus »

Mike. These are good stories, and thanks for sharing. It is the phenomenal experiences such as these that make our hobby so rewarding. In other words, in many instances, it ain't the reels, it's the good people involved in the hobby.

And also, your combos are beautiful
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

Nice combo and nice move John
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, glad to see that combo on display, Mike!....and Mike also gave me a nice gift and true, it needed a bit of touch-up:

But then, Mike knows I thrive on challenges like this, so I decided to attack it, get it cleaned up and make new counterbalance, grasp, bearing cover and foot. Some things came out better than others...foot was a bitch! But the reel is ready to fish!

Making parts:

Final product...thanks for the fun, Mike!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, John. That reel hung on a pegboard above my workbench for 20 years and you turned that frog into a prince. If your skills get any better, you’re going to have to move to Kentucky. Nicely done!

Mike N
Last edited by Mike N on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Both of the rods now have period reels mounted for display. The craftsmanship of Ron’s wooden rod case is matched by the craftsmanship of the metal work of the ferrules from John’s rod:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! After finally kicking my memory in gear, I recalled a bit about the history of the gifted rod and indeed, there was a post about it back in 2006! It involved some unfortunate events in the life of a past board poser and a classic rod.

Mike, I hope the back story doesn't detract from the intent of the gift...had forgotten all about the history here, which I believe you will find of interest!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4166&p=18918#p18918
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John- as an old scrapper who treasures a survivor, it makes me appreciate it even more!

In keeping with the original linked post, here is a return limerick:

There once was a 7-piece rod,
Originally constructed in thirds.
Then along came an Elder
Who sat down beside her
And salvaged a classic from t-rds.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990