Photo - Supplee-Biddle Hardware Co/Congress Tackle

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Photo - Supplee-Biddle Hardware Co/Congress Tackle

Post by Tom R »

Supplee-Biddle Hardware on the extreme right, circa 1931. Distributors of Congress brand reels and tackle. Not sure if they manufactured their tackle but I'm sure someone knows the answer.

Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Photo - Supplee-Biddle Hardware Co/Congress Tackle

Post by Nick in NY »

Very cool photo! I remember only 2 years ago a hardware store or Broadway in lower Manhattan that sold fishing tackle. The name was Weinstein and Holtzman. I also remember seeing a reverse S handle reel on EBay with the same name! Its since been demolished and replaced with high end residential building. Still in the side streets of lower Manhattan are many very similar buildings! I believe there's even the original store front of a Mills that closed in the early 60's. The original Tent and Trials is only 2 blocks over from my building. It pretty much is the same after all these years. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Photo - Supplee-Biddle Hardware Co/Congress Tackle

Post by Teal »

That's a cool photo! One of my favorite trade house companies. Profiled their trade reels in the May 2009 Reel News. A great company to collect because there are a ton of marked Congress reels of all kinds, from really high end ones to intro models.