This is ORCA - Let's See Some Reels!!!!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: This is ORCA - Let's See Some Reels!!!!

Post by 54bullseye »

Low Profile
Great collection ! I really like the first reel you pictured what is it ? John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, nice reels, LP! I got the sweet little Langley Target in the first pic, but who is that third pic?? Not recognizing those broad shoulders on that spool!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Target is super sweet and recommend to anyone. Think it may have been the only free spool freshwater bass sized reel produced by Langley.

3rd reel down is a 40 yd. Shakespeare Universal

tx, Low Profile
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

I suspect the target had the first whiffle spool and was the lightest spool of its size at the time. A great reel for ultralight distance casting. I haven't used anything else in months.
-steve
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

LP,
That's a neat ball handle reel. Do you know who made it?

jason
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Jason,

Assume you are asking about the small german silver ball handle reel posted a few days back on the bottom shelf of the stand it is marked "j.emdin" . I've never heard of this maker or distributor. Anyone have any info?

Low Profile
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Low,
If we could see the mark, we could at least guess whether it's a maker, seller, or owner's mark. For example, John Emdin was an optician in Utica for decades.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Steve,

Holy Mackerel!! that reel was purchased from an estate auction 10-15 miles from Utica NY that had tonnage of vintage fishing tackle. Has to be a connection. I'll get a pic of the mark and post later.

Thanks, Low Profile
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Here are a few pics showing both the stamp and other features thinking they might give some other clues. It was a bear trying to get a clear shot of the stamp. Reel foot and side plate screws may be replacements. I am also curious about the metal the reel is made of. I am assuming german silver but it has the look and patina that you see on older silver coins. The reel is generally well made but does have some crudeness to the foot where the pour of the metal was not 100% (voids, etc.) and the gearing is very simple with a bit less than 2:1 ratio. No clicker. What I would really like to do is get a general date of the reel and find out a bit more on the maker/stamp.

Low Profile
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Low, Was the reel purchased south of Utica by any chance? I was born and raised 20 miles south of Utica. Just retired from there and moved to Florida. I sold quite a bit of fishing stuff to several individuals there. That reel MAY have been in one of my lots!
Reeltyme
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Reeltyme,

It was obtained from an estate auction near the Verona Rome area a few years back from someone who accumulated a vast amount of quality vintage fishing and hunting gear. The auction was well attended and ORCA members were there because there were posts on either this forum or another following it. I'm assuming the collector obtained a lot of the stuff locally (pre-internet). The markings on the reel are so unique to so it is possible that he may have obtained it from you. This particular reel went way under the radar and I just couldn't pass on it.

Low Profile
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I have a problem... I have so many reels in boxes on the floor in front of my showcase I can't reach the shelves any more :D

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

LP,
Thanks for sharing.

Paul,
Great display. I love how your bottom shelf is packed with 160 year old brass reels stacked 4 high.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Paul,
That looks terribly messy! You could trip and fall on all that! Hospitals are very expensive :shock: As a service to a fellow reel collector, I would be willing to drive up and clean all of that “old stuff” out for you. :lol: (no charge of course)
Reeltyme
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

...ah, from humble beginnings!...remember those days, Paul? The first deal we ever did sent a baker’s dozen of these automatics off to Canada!

How things have evolved! Beautiful collection!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Low, I think we can start a new thread about Emdin, but it would help enormously if you could take some hi-res, sharp photos of the ball-handle reel from the same angles as these:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Here's some more - want to keep this going

Unmarked fly JVH raised pillar? all brass
Abbey Imbrie w/crossed hooks
Nice condition Terry
An for the fellow Mitchell guys - A 406 mod - would this maker it a 506? - Whoever made that stainless steel reel foot spent a lot of time and effort on it

Enjoy, Low Profile

Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Here is my main display unit I just completely re-did. My dad built this piece out of solid redwood over 50 years ago as an entertainment center. It is 6' high, 9' long, and 14.5" deep. After umpteen moves back and forth across the country, it was beginning to look a little sad, but still solid and square as the day he built it. I refinished the front and lined the boxes with 1/4" bamboo plywood. It was a fun project, and a great way to keep his memory alive.

Cheers,
John

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

John I thought your room was perfect the way it way but that case looks really nice now much brighter to !! Now the reels you have in it !!! They don't get know better than that !!! Only problem is what do you look for now that you have the best of the best !!!! I am sure you will find plenty more.. Beautiful

John Taylor PS bring that pretty gold reel with the wood handle east when you come :D
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey John, now that's what I call a display case. Well done!
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Mostly spinning...Swedish, French and Italian. Ben Wright was my idol!!

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Chinook1 wrote:Mostly spinning...Swedish, French and Italian. Ben Wright was my idol!!
Nice group of quality spinners! Ben's contribution to the spinning reel aspect of this hobby will always be blessed and never forgotten. I miss him a lot!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

LP & oc-1,

The Langley Target, indeed a sweet reel and Langley's only freespool. The narrow perforated spool, however was first used on the Lurecast a couple of years earlier, not sure of date (1947?).

Excuse my tardy reply, I am in the Galapagos Islands, communication is spotty. THERE ARE NO REELS HERE, just strange things, some of which are human!!

Alan

Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

ImageGreat stuff guys , here is my newest
Greatsouthbayman
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Greatsouthbayman »

Here's a few Reels

Can someone tell me who made this Red Head Reel? (no reel in the box)
Reeling Thru The Years