J. Emdin

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

J. Emdin

Post by Low Profile »

At the request of a fellow Orcan I'm starting a post about J. Emdin reels

My photography equipment and skills are limited but I gave it a shot. Here are the pics - A few at end were taken through a stereo binocular microscope.

Tx, Low Profile

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: J. Emdin

Post by Steve »

Interesting reel! Some of the features that stick out:
Unusually long grasp, though you see them now and then on Crooks and early Conroys.
Foot edges have been filed a lot horizontally, but can't tell if that was "post-factory."
I've never run into a 9-tooth pinion in a ball-handle before.
If the main gear is 16 teeth, you would have an unusual gear ratio of less than 2, but I'm not sure of the tooth count.
The pillar nuts are oddly shaped. One looks like a square with rounded corners, another like an oval with 2 flat sides. But I can't tell much from the pics.
There's a thick section of crank next to the grasp. Is that a repair or a sleeve nor just a thicker section?
The wide crank hub under a smaller-diameter, domed screwhead reminds me of Terry reels.
It looks as if the tailplate bearing cover is just a flat, unopenable thing. Is that correct?

Anyway, Emdin sold tackle for over 20 years! Now we have to figure out whether or not he might have made the reel...or perhaps was retailing something from a place like Malleson's company in nearby Trenton.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

That thick section of crank handle is what I first noticed. I thought it might be extendable.
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

What I can say about the handle is that it does appear to have some type of sleeve but it is of the same metal as the rest of the handle and I don't see any concrete evidence of a previous handle break or soldering so can't tell if it is original or some kind of post manufacture repair or reinforcement.

The pillar nuts are indeed partially squared off (looks like they were filed) and I believe that was done because they are positioned so close to the outer side cover that they had to be filed down so the plate would fit.

The gear teeth are crude (at least as compared to a more modern reel)

Cant tell if the foot was filed on the bottom post manufacture

Tail plate bearing is raised from the back plate with flat surface - nothing to open

Of all aspects of the reel the spool is exceptionally well made and spins true and like a top on the bearing surfaces. Wish I could say the gears were as smooth.

Do you have the time frame when Emdin was in business selling tackle? I'm wondering if this may be the oldest reel in my collection which would make it is nice conversation piece with friends and family.

Low Profile
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

PM sent

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I’m sure it’s old and original and authentic to the reel, but the metal die stamping for the maker’s mark of this “J.Emdin” reel seems odd.

The letters are an unusual Roman numeral-like font and the spacing is not uniform, especially between the M and the D. The period after the “J” is not pronounced, either. It speaks of letters stamped one-by-one by someone inexperienced in that skill, perhaps because not many were sold.

The fact that the mark does not include the word “maker” hints of a retail seller, but retail sellers typically included the “city” location, i.e, “Conroy, Maker, New York.”

Where would a reel maker or retailer turn to purchase such a set of letter die stamps? (See generic research photo of vintage letter die stamps.) A local print shop, perhaps? This font looks familiar but I can’t put my finger on it.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990