Fly reel comparison

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Fly reel comparison

Post by Steve »

Saturday Evening Post, June 7, 1919:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Fly reel comparison

Post by Ray Hencken »

The writer of this article was in New York and apparently didn't see or examine Edward vom Hofe 355 and 360 reels or Julius vom Hofe trout fly reels! It doesn't appear to me that he did much in the way of investigating what fly reels were offered by American reel makers.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Who knows? For one thing, he probably did his research before Armistice Day, and it's tough to say what reel production was like during the war. More importantly, of course, was that large agate rings were few and far between, Americanly speaking.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Very Interesting. I have no doubt that this guy must have visited the top tackle retailers and had no clue that the reels he had seen and handled were destined to become some of the most long lasting and collectible reels in the world. Can you picture him blowing right by a Meek 44, Talbot, Vom Hofe's or the slew of Leonard reels on display at William Mills and just completely brushing them aside as simple American click & pawl reels. Please sign me up for the next time machine so I can fund my retirement in 10 minutes of shopping. Funny how this stuff works. The question is what reels are being made right now that we don't have the foresight to see the future value or longevity of. I think about this all the time.

Low Profile
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The question is what reels are being made right now that we don't have the foresight to see the future value or longevity of. I think about this all the time.
Sad thing is, in this day and age, we live in a different philosophical society. Most things are throwaway and quality & longevity mean very little. Big business has learned that if they manufacture with too much quality they will soon run out of clientele. :(
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027