Teutsch reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Teutsch reel?

Post by Reeltyme »

O.K. got another reel I need help with. I have this reel B.C. (Before cleaning) that came to me in a “lot” purchase at an auction in upstate New York. Searched here, eBay, and Bing,, no results. It has some odd features that tend towards a higher end reel, like the reel seat and yet the spool is aluminum as well as the handle. It is quite simple inside yet the free spool lever is geared at the end of the main gear bridge? Never seen that before. 2 clicker levers at the rear end, not sure why yet as I haven’t got into it that far. An extremely narrow spool shaft which lends me to believe it may have been made for casting competitions. Spins very smoothly. The plate says “pat applied for”. Any ideas?

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Teutsch reel?

Post by Steve »

That's a Meisselbachy-looking oil cap. Charles Teutsch, Newark, NJ, was born in 1875 and was making watch cases at the turn of the century. By 1910, he was employed as a "maker" in a fishing reel factory, probably at Meisselbach, according to the census, but was a jeweler according to city directories. He was still employed as a reelmaker in 1920, probably at Meisselbach-Catucci. He seems to have worked there for years, but he was back to watchmaking by 1930. The reel was patented in 1922. Neat find.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

THANKS Steve! Maybe I have a little treasure here? Once I get her cleaned up, I believe she will have to find a new home. She just doesn’t fit into my group of collecting. The story is sure interesting!
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Just an update, this little “rarity” has a new home. I will not say who got her, (I’ll leave that up to the new owner), but she’s where she belongs now. Thanks to everyone and all the helpful information.
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme :D
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

OK, folks, time to fess up. Who got the reel? It's really neat and unusual and, if it's been cleaned up, it would be a great one to feature in The Reel News!
Thanks,
Richard