I Like The Old Stuff!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

I Like The Old Stuff!

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I collect AND fish with vintage fly and spinning gear. I am really getting tired of being chided by some of my fishing friends (and some who are not friends) about my old gear. I have been told that I can collect the old stuff, but I should fish with the newer more modern stuff like newer external spool spinning reels, large arbor fly reels with elaborate drags, expensive graphite rods, etc. My favorite smallmouth rig is a Mitchell 304 on an old Berkley Cherrywood 5 1/2' rod. I have some ultra lite reels (i.e., the Mitchell 408) but the 304 is light enough in weight to balance the Berkley rod and I feel that the larger spool is an advantage. I just tell my "friends" that I am just used to the stuff I used as a kid and my stuff will catch just as many fish as their modern stuff will. I don't think the fish knows or cares what I use.
Joe
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Re: I Like The Old Stuff!

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Heck I even use only vintage lures. My all time favorite is the rapala. I also like the old flatfish, the jitterbug, and the mepps spinner.
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Joe, I thought you said you fished the OLD stuff! :D ---but that's a matter of perspective! Go for it! The modern equipment is a bit less noisy, but it won't be running in another 50 years like the 'good' stuff!
john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Joe, I fish for bass using my two matching 7’ hollow fiberglass rods I bought almost 40 years ago! I use standard old Rapalas, rubber worms and jitterbugs. I still catch bass and have a wonderful time doing it. I just laugh at the guys that “have to have” the latest and greatest. My “big rigs” are poles the are approaching 30 years old. Those poles have caught more 20 pound plus salmon than I care to count. The memories of those outfits are worth more than any new rig on the market. Let the fellows talk and laugh at your equipment all they want as the empty their wallets at the sporting goods store. All while you catch fish and memories.
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme
By the way, just to PROVE that fish are stupid, here is a photo of a nice redfish I caught on a recent outing. I caught him on a “spoon”. I mean an actual dinner spoon I cut off and made into a lure for the fun of it!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Joe...those same folks who chide you...are the one's drooling over the 57 Chev, the 63 Vette, the 69' Mach 1 and all the other nice classics they see every day. Don't tell me those are cars. Think about how they'd react to a beautiful 20 Dollar Gold Piece hangin' around your neck, or the Piece of Eight you got off an old ship wreck. There's also the really beautiful and functional 1880's Roll-top Desk, in their neighbors den. We call that hypocrisy. Fish On!!!!

Simple answer to the dilemma....Do you catch fish? Is it fun?
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -