Mitchell 300?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
rkmjr
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 300?

Post by rkmjr »

Big ORCA Fan
I found this reel recently and am looking for info. The reel is a Mitchell 300 size but has no numbers. No 300 on the side and no serial number on the foot. Only has MITCHELL on the handle side. Does have MADE IN FRANCE on the right side plate. Any help would be great. Thanks
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 300?

Post by spadej1 »

Yes, you have an early Mitchell 300, before they started using the 300 number designation. There is a serial number on the back side that I can’t read in the photo above the “Made in France”, which might be anywhere from Bxxxxx-xxxxxx where “x”’s are numbers. Judging from the body, handle, and bail, this reel would either be a “B”, “C”, or low 6 digit number. Depending on the serial number, and who you ask, your reel was made between 1952 and 1955. These are great reels and have lasted a lifetime already!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
rkmjr
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rkmjr »

Thank you, great garage sale find. Also there is no serial number above MADE IN FRANCE.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

rkmjr wrote:Thank you, great garage sale find. Also there is no serial number above MADE IN FRANCE.
Look closely behind the rivet on the upper section behind the foot/leg where the paint is worn & peeling. It may be hard to decipher but that is the serial # location for that circa pre Garcia 300 Mitchell reel. The photo makes it difficult to see clearly.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
rkmjr
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rkmjr »

I have collected for forty years. There is no serial number!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Interesting. You may have to disassemble it, then, to get a more precise idea of when it was manufactured. There were quite a few subtle changes in the early versions. Some reels have even had parts interchanged with earlier or later models. Good luck pinning it down.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

If there is no serial number where under side of foot meets the pole or on non-handle side outer rim then
the reel body was probably replaced at one time. Parts from early reels will fit the later ones. People would have these repaired instead of throwing away like the modern garbage reels. Back then they would cost close to a weeks wages.
Kim :fished
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....
Patrick Z
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Patrick Z »

I can see a 9 and a 0 to the left of the upper rivet. The other numbers appear to be obscured by a the marred paint.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Patrick Z wrote:I can see a 9 and a 0 to the left of the upper rivet. The other numbers appear to be obscured by a the marred paint.
Those serials actually read with the edge of the body below the number and from the rivet right towards the rear of the housing, basically upside down from the photo. I'm pretty sure it's a 6 not 9 and there's what looks to be a 4 behind the missing paint. A better closeup angle photo would make it easier to decipher but it's always looked like there are numbers there.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Patrick Z
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Patrick Z »

Thanks, Tom. I had forgotten that even though my half-bail Mitchell is upside down in the same place as well. I was basically trying to reaffirm to the original poster that there is indeed a serial number, or part of one, on his Mitchell reel and that it is not a parts reel or one with a replacement body.