DAM Quick 550 question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

DAM Quick 550 question

Post by busterboy »

I just took the spool off the DAM Quick 550 that I recently acquired. It was a true "barn find" with more chaff in it that any self respecting reel should ever have. The reel has slightly lesss that the "usual" amount of boat rash. I got it in working order relatively easily by removing and replacing the old grease and getting rid of the barn residue. When I took the red knob off the spool and lifted the spool off the main shaft, that was all that was there. My question is this, should there be any drag washers?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Stan AKA Buster Cowton
Buster Cowton :usa
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: DAM Quick 550 question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

There should at least be a resitex washer between the spool and main shaft click gear. There can also be various thickness metal shim washers added to correct spool line lay. Sometimes the resistex washer sticks to the click gear and has to be separated with a thin knife blade. Sometimes it is just plain missing. The spool itself has a drag stack assembly consisting of, from the bottom of the spool cavity up, resistex washer, metal tongue washer, resistex washer, drive plate i.e. keyed washer, resistex washer, tongue washer and snap ring. Remove the snap ring to get to and service the drag assembly. Teflon or correct thickness carbon fiber washers will work in place of the resitex washers if any are missing. The resistex washers seldom wear out unless they have been abused.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027