Uni Spin Rod/Reel Combo

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Uni Spin Rod/Reel Combo

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I have never owned one but I remember seeing them in stores several years ago; i.e., the "Uni-Spin" under hanging closed faced spinning reel that had a push button on top integral with the rod. They were made by Bronson, Johnson, and True temper, at least that's how they branded. I came across them while surfing on our favorite auction site. They seem pretty expensive for what they are and any that are less costly are pretty banged up. Do these have any collector value? Are they good fishing instruments? I just found them intriguing.
Joe
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Uni Spin Rod/Reel Combo

Post by wrong99 »

I don't know about Johnson, but Bronson, and then True Temper (who bought Bronson), sold them for decades and produced them in staggering numbers. From the number of them still around, and there are many, only the examples in really excellent original condition seem to have much value. Never fished one, but probably someone here has. You can learn more about them if you visit ORCA's Bronson Reel Website, where there's a whole section devoted to Bronson & True Temper Uni-Spins.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

...what Mark said...

I still have mine that I got on about my 12th birthday...still remember picking it out at Levins wholesale warehouse in Terre Haute where my parents bought stock for their store. I caught a lot of fish on it and it’s pretty bullet-proof. Has balance of a spinning reel with convenience of spincast. It’s no wonder they sold so many and were carried through all three Maker’s. ( PS...like Mark, I don’t recall seeing a Johnson version of this rig, but bow to your experience).
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Johnson made a couple of uni variants similar to the Bronson/True Temper. They had a little different rod design and one model came with a star drag. They weren't as popular as the B/TT combos.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Tommy. I wonder if Johnson bought the rights (or whatever you call them) to the "Uni-Spin", otherwise it would seem they wouldn't/couldn't use the identical model name?
Mark