Old W.M. Shakespeare Jr. Casting Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
duke#12
Big ORCA Fan

Old W.M. Shakespeare Jr. Casting Reel

Post by duke#12 »

I picked up this reel a few weeks ago and I can’t seem to find out much about it. I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than I (and there are a lot of you!) could give me some more information about it.
The reel is a Standard Reel Number 3M with a November 12 1901 patent date and a patent applied for inscription on the bottom of the left side (tail plate?) And it has both the thumb wheel clicker and the thumb drag. The reel is in good shape overall. There are some minor scratches and scuffs (one scratch is pretty noticeable) there is a chip out of the right rubber plate at a pillar base and one end of the foot has been filed. It is a smooth, solid little reel for being 110 or so years old.
Questions:
How common are these reels?
Approximately how much is it worth?.
Is it fish-able or is this a bad idea. It feels solid, but are there old parts that are prone to fail (or some other problems)?
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Old W.M. Shakespeare Jr. Casting Reel

Post by oc1 »

While we wait for the Shakespeare experts to come along, I'll suggest they might not be too rare because even I have some; albeit mine are about a decade later. The narrow ones fetch a higher price than the 100 yard size. Probably worth what we paid for them. I fished them a few times as-received, and then fished them pretty hard after some modifications.

-steve
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thats quite a testament for the reel, Steve! The runs must have been a rush!... and maybe painful!

Duke, your reel will certainly clean to a lot nicer but likely will never be like new again. Still, these are nice collectible reels and value is a function of who enters into the fray; ie, vets will have it but new buyers will bring up the price. I would think if brought up to 8/8, would still be in the $80-110 range. As is, maybe $20.

Still waiting for a Shakes expert!!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
duke#12
Big ORCA Fan

Post by duke#12 »

Thanks for the replies. you confirmed what I thought: that the reel is not overly valuable but very fish-able. Better to ask now than later listen to "YOU FOOL! You fished with it?" I am really happy to see these reels can handle a bonefish: its speedier than anything I am likely use the reel for. (Steve, your fish confused me for a minute until I saw you are in Oahu (Bonefish shape but "chromey" like a lady fish... because its from a different ocean.) I suspect your reel was helped out by a bit of skill. I doubt my thumb would been up to the task.
John, the reel outdoes me. I will never be like new again either but I don't clean up much nicer. I have done little so far to clean up the reel, just lube and a toothbrush. I did not know whether the black on the side plates was remnant finish or tarnish (I had read some of reels were silver plated). Another winter project.
Thanks again for your input
Bernie
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Some of those early reels were silver plated and oxidized. They were supposed to be matte black.
Steve, I’ve never seen perforated spools like that, is that a custom mod by you?
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I'm impressed to see you fish bonefish with that reel! When in Mexico I only land 1 out of 3 fish due to the barracuda taking the fish. I'd hate to think how fast that handles spinning on a run! Ouch that's gotta hurt! Tight Lines Nick in NY Holzman reels collector
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Great reel photos, but that Gray Ghost pic is special.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990