Coin counterweight Penn 149

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Coin counterweight Penn 149

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Just found this one, with a chrome spool, but wondering if the early 149 came with a plastic spool like the 49. Has the coin edge handle, is this a correct early reel or a spool or handle switch? No part numbers. Was very stiff so probably not cranked in many years.
Thank You
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Coin counterweight Penn 149

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Well the spool or the handle or the whole damn reel is not correct so spool it up for next season, be an okay retro fillet and release machine.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

The Model 149 did not have a metal spool until 1951. By 1951, Penn was no longer using the coin edge counter weight. So your reel is probably a 1948 or earlier reel with a spool replacement. Early Penn 149's had plastic spools.

By the way, if any of the metal parts of your reel have Penn part numbers stamped into them, well that throws everything off, because Penn did not start stamping their metal parts until around 1952.

As things go with a 70 year old tool, no way of telling how many times the reel has been serviced and how many parts have been exchanged.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

That's what threw me, coin edge, no numbers on the outside, had learned the and 49's were plastic pre 50's and the 249's plastic forever. finally got the other Long Island Mike C's book delivered yesterday, took Micro Press over 3 weeks to get it here, and it confirmed the suspicions you've verified. Thank You.
Will crack it open later today and see what's inside. Guessing probably (mostly) no numbers with the spool upgrade. I'm setting up to fish my boat retro with old True Temper and Harnell rods mounted with mostly 49's, I like the fast retrieve, big drags. Getting them for about a dime a dozen doesn't hurt either. Have had to replace some of the internals in a few of the pre-wars, along with going to all carbon-tex drag stacks, so 70 years hence two other guys may be having the same conversation.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Oh yea, every time you upgrade, you will drive the historical purists crazy. The Penn 49 is timeless. If you get my green covered book, check out the article on South Africa. They do amazing things with the 49 and chose it for the same reason you have, the fast retrieve.

Good to know you are using a reel that many people consider obsolete. I think they are great old reels.
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Mike,
Your greenie arrived day before yesterday (great job), I wondered why the Afrikaner's didn't just go for the 6/0 but ahhh yes the retrieve. Maybe 49A was really the first Special Senator. My Greenie 700 spinners were getting some comments on the dock, the 49's and old rods will be fun to mess with the guys heads, the two eccentrics should make them crazy. "Well back in the day we used one for bass the other for the blues" :loco:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I like to bring vintage stuff when I fish also. There is no more fun than to bring a Penn Master Mariner 349HC / Neptuna cradle reel or any Neptuna model onto a Party Boat. It keeps the conversations alive all day.

Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

As a Brooklyn guy you must have been heading out with that rig from Emmons Ave on Sheephead Bay. Used to drive from New Bedford through Flatbush with a 26 ft straight job to deliver Seabass traps to the Knaur brothers at Stella Maris, showed up the day after St Patty's once and had to hang out with the boys to munch on some of Grandma's Irish soda bread. Stand up guys. Being, more or less, in your neighborhood do you know if the Freeport Tuna Club is still active? I had a guy in my office maybe 10 years ago who was in it then. You've posted on Tani's site in the thread Deepfins started about the 16/0 Lighthouse reel. John got and posted a photo, from the sale, on that thread that was probably taken within 30 seconds of the one that is my avatar of my grandfather in Wedgeport. There is another shot of gramps in that thread, half out of the frame on the right wearing a jacket with a Freeport Tuna Club patch. I'm wondering if this was a club outing, and if so is there any archival stuff about it still in existence.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Being, more or less, in your neighborhood do you know if the Freeport Tuna Club is still active?
Friend of mine did a table there last season for the annual yard sale. The Club is alive and well. The members are getting up there in age. I was at the show last year. They are a Landmark in Freeport, still on Hudson Ave.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

As a Brooklyn guy you must have been heading out with that rig from Emmons Ave on Sheephead Bay.
I fished from Sheepshead Bay for many years; but moved to Long Island in 1978.

All my Party Boat fishing since then has been from Point Lookout. The cradle rod I pictured is not one I actually fish with. The one I fish with is in my rod rack, cannot miss it, it is the only cradle rig in the rack. I still use it. Has a Jigmaster 500 mounted in the cradle.

Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Mike,
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can track anyone down at the club. The cradle rig I can see would certainly keep you from getting lonely on the party boat trips. I did get to pulling down the 49 and not a number to be found internally, but the pinion is toast with tiny silver flakes everywhere, so "probably" just a spool swap since Roosevelt was in the White House. Your price guide is sitting on my desk, didn't take too much reading to see you got it bad.
Tight Lines
Bob
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Your price guide is sitting on my desk, didn't take too much reading to see you got it bad.
Yea, I guess I got it bad. The way I see it, it is better to have it bad than not have it at all...............<:O)