Auction lot of project reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Auction lot of project reels

Post by Paul M »

I picked up an interesting lot of project reels at an auction today. For low end reels it is always fun to find better reel models in the box than what the box is for.

The Pflueger Medalist 1494 in correct box is a project reel, needing replacement of the grasp/pin and the hub/spool release cover. (If anyone has these replacement parts handy, I am in the market to buy them). The pillars are the sculpted variety and there is a “B” under the foot.

The LH Airex Bach Brown Mastereel No 2 is interesting. I suppose the paint on the leg/foot has come off at the knee [Correction below]. Otherwise it looks good and works well. (No clicker or anti-reverse!!)

The Okey 620 is missing the pawl/screw, so should be a snap to restore.

The OC box is for a 1581 but the reel that came inside the box was a narrow spool 1825 tournament reel :yay . Rough paint rash but should clean up and cast nicely.

Plus I got my Toronto Inglis-Shakespeare fix with a diamond Inglis logo on a Triumph Model GK.

I felt like a bottom feeder with a fleet of Chippewa lures being sold before and after at huge prices but I got a box of fun for a reasonable amount. That is one reason I like reel collecting.

There were 3 ORCA members present and perhaps some bidding online for an unusually large number of Malloch reels in the auction.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Auction lot of project reels

Post by RonG »

Nice score Paul.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Always nice to see a club member post a good vintage reel find. Sweet!

Mike an
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I’m not sure your Airex reel stem has paint loss. I could be wrong, but I believe most of them came that way. I know most of the pictures in Bob’s Airex book show that paint scheme.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

spadej1 wrote:I’m not sure your Airex reel stem has paint loss. I could be wrong, but I believe most of them came that way. I know most of the pictures in Bob’s Airex book show that paint scheme.
That’s good to know James. Then it is “perfect”.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

James, I see on our own ORCA FRR site under Airex, the pictured reel has the same sort of knee-high paint job on the mounting leg, so it looks correct, after all. The detail that attracted me to this reel is the sharp point of the half bail. Looks delicate but dangerous :)

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006