production drag/gear or homemade???

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

production drag/gear or homemade???

Post by john elder »

Bob Tuttle saw this and forwarded the pic, asking what's up with this modification of a Penn reel. It certainly has a drag adjuster...not clear to me if it also does anything to the gearing? Anyone seen this rig before??

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: production drag/gear or homemade???

Post by Mike N »

John- It looks like something that would add torque to the retrieve. Or, can you only add torque by extending the length of the reel handle, not the distance of the handle from the spool?

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Teepee gear multiplier. Pull out the knob for higher gear ratio. That, the Real Deal and the Powerhouse were the three used by CA jig fishermen from the late 50s to the 70s. Bud Chaddock filled me in a while back.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Brian! I should have known thatbut don’t remember seeing tgis third version.... but then, theres a lot of stuff i don’t remember seeing :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures