grandfather's old fly reel - identification?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
hogfysshe
Big ORCA Fan

grandfather's old fly reel - identification?

Post by hogfysshe »

Hi Folks, I’m new to the forum.

I’d like your help with this reel? It belonged to my grandfather. He lived in northeast Mass and central New Hampshire. He was born in 1902 died in the mid-90s. If it’s really old, could have belonged to HIS father, who grew up in Yorkshire, England and moved to northeastern Mass in 1908 (briefly in the Chester, PA area around 1911).

As you can see, it’s very small, about 2.25” across. Seems to work, though feels a little worn and in need of lubrication. Soft click, with one noticeable rough spot each turn.

I’d like to identify the reel. And, if it is rare, I’d like suggestions on who to share the trademark image with (I’ve seen a few groups who keep track of trademark info and images). Have done a few searches and have seen many similar reels but not an exact match.

Also would like to know the intended use of the reel. I assume it’s part of a light trout setup for creeks and small rivers, but could be wrong.

Comments about cleaning and restoration also welcome.

What do you think? Any input appreciated.

Thank you

Todd H.

Jason
Super Board Poster

Re: grandfather's old fly reel - identification?

Post by Jason »

I think Allcock's of Redditch England used that stag trademark.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jason wrote:I think Allcock's of Redditch England used that stag trademark.
Good call.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

As far as the rough spot when turning, check to see if the spool is rubbing on the frame. It looks as though, when your first pic is enlarged, the spool is contacting the frame in at least 3 places. Between the 4 & 5 at both the top & bottom on the left side and behind the counter balance on the right side. It appears the frame has some rim indentations.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
hogfysshe
Big ORCA Fan

Post by hogfysshe »

thanks everyone. Allcocks seems reasonable. Acting on your input, I found this image with the stag on the foot with the trade mark lettering.

https://www.tuftysvintagefishingtackle. ... 1541297270

That's from the 3rd listing from bottom, here
https://www.tuftysvintagefishingtackle. ... s-page-2/#

we may be narrowing to it being an early Allcocks? The trademark is more primitive than say this one, which has grass at the stag's feet and says "Reg'd" Trade Mark.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/ ... sel2-2.jpg

re wear, on the top photo (w/tapemeasure above reel), the scratched silver surface behind the reel handle doesn't move. the spool on that side is the same size as the other side, which can be seen in the last photo. the spool feels a little loose in the frame.