Marhoff & Shakespeare Collectors - New Collector's Guide posted

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Marhoff & Shakespeare Collectors - New Collector's Guide posted

Post by Len Sawisch »

I have completed the write-up on my research of Marhoff reels (and boxes).

It is available on-line at Collector's Guide to Marhoff Reels:
http://www.sawisch.com/len/Collector's% ... 8-2018.pdf

I would prefer to have it and the related appendices hosted on the ORCA Research site, if anyone can advise me on how that might be accomplished.

Thanks!

Len
Len Sawisch
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Marhoff & Shakespeare Collectors - New Collector's Guide posted

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Well done Len---whats next?
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Great job, Len. Priceless.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

A lot of good info here.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I once asked Russell E. Lewis, Mi. resident and author of several books on Fishing Collectibles and former O.R.C.A. member why he or someone else had not written a book specifically about Shakespeare. His response was not enough interest in a specific manufacturer. I never fully understood that since there are books on Heddon, Pflueger, Langley, Penn and many others which seem to be successful I have seen several articles on Shakespeare but never a comprehensive book. Len, I would have thought you , Wild Bill and some other Michiganders would have done that by now.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Wow! Thank you, Len!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Len,
Excellent work all around!!!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to research and assemble all of this information. A total package on one of the most important casting reels ever made. Great history.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

You continue to be a stellar example of an ORCAn. Wonderful research. Thank you so much for doing this!

-- Dr. Todd
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Len: Thank you! I will find a way to add everything into the ORCA Fishing Reel Research section of our website.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great work, Len. I know Harvey and Dale would have been just simply ecstatic about it too.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I have posted the Marhoff Reels info here and it is listed in the orcaonline.org homepage main menu under Reel Research. The Appendix pages are temporary placeholders using screen grabs and may work better across various user devices when we get the original files.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Len,
This is great! Excellent research and nicely written. Thanks for doing this and sharing.

David
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

Len - this is great, great, great! Now that my yearly sailing vacation and hunting seasons are done, I need to get off my butt and get back to that Criterion "thing". Of course, it is more along the line of "mind boggling" than your great use of the table for the various models, but I don't think I better start over now. :bash:

Carl
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

You have enough to write the book on Criterions, Carl. Don't wait too long.
Mark
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Great job organizing all that data Len!
A clear reference for all future Marhoff collectors for sure.
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

OK, it has now been a month since I said I needed to get back to "the Criterion", and what have I accomplished? Not much, because I really wanted to go through my Marhoff's and compare them to Len's work. If nothing else, just to see how another collector could use it and potentially add to this knowledge base. My collection is not as robust as Len's nor of the high quality (especially when it comes to "with box"). I have a rough draft of a table that mimics Len's with the models I have. Once more through to double check my findings, then I'll provide "my" table to the research site. to add to the knowledge base.

What did I determine with this effort?

- With the exception of the Gold versions, I was closer to having a "full" collection than I thought;
- That being said, I found that my 1919 wasn't a 1919 at all. It is a "repaired" 1918 or 1922, and now I wonder where the 1919 foot came from?
- My "No model year" is different than Len's. Mine may be as simple as taking a Model 26 and putting a "regular" (Made in USA - Patented) foot on it?
- The table is definitely useful to display the various models, as long as the key is kept close at hand.
- My biggest challenge was in reel part terminology, as I have been using different terms for some of the key parts that describe the difference between models.

All in all, I have learned a lot more about Marhoff's in the last month than I knew before, and that, for me, makes it all worth it.

Carl
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Carl, I'm tickled you found the Marhoff info helpful. Per your questions/observations:

- I found that my 1919 wasn't a 1919 at all. It is a "repaired" 1918 or 1922, and now I wonder where the 1919 foot came from?

All sorts of ways a reel ends up with older (or younger) reel part. Sometimes a reel will be in a marked "repaired" box, or a repair bill will come with the reel to offer some insight. I have had one of each over the last 25 years. Otherwise it's just a guess.

- My "No model year" is different than Len's. Mine may be as simple as taking a Model 26 and putting a "regular" (Made in USA - Patented) foot on it?

Yes, possibly. That's why it's important to log multiple examples of a reel model/version, and look for trends and anomalies.

- My biggest challenge was in reel part terminology, as I have been using different terms for some of the key parts that describe the difference between models.

The terminology is my bad. I acknowledge that I made up terms that made sense to me. A real historian would research company parts lists, and then catalog what company used which terms during given time periods. Too much no-fun work for me!

Now get back to work!

And Thanks!

Len
Len Sawisch
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

Len, thanks for the comments. Happy New Year! While my 1919 Marhoff didn't help on the 1919 "difference", I think I have a Superior 1961 Model 1919 that might. But, I promised myself that I need to finish the Criterions first.

As for terminology, I think it is always going to be a challenge. Part of my Criterion dilemma is just that. I'm toying with something (old parts lists) that might help, but it may only be usable for Shakespeare's prior to WWII - but I guess that is better than nothing. We'll see what this new year brings.

Carl