Gayle “Simplicity” reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Gayle “Simplicity” reel?

Post by Reeltyme »

I have this reel that I do not want as it just isn’t my type of collecting. Does anyone know anything about these? Is it rare or common. Is it of any value or just junk? I know people collect Gayle reels, but this doesn’t look like any I can find. Any information would be greatly appreciated. It will probably end up on the “bay” in a couple of weeks, unless someone here just has to have it. Thanks all for your time!

Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Gayle “Simplicity” reel?

Post by Paul M »

Not junk if you want to add a Kentucky side mount reel to your collection. Flimsy, yes. Junk, no, at least not IMHO.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks for the information Paul. Hopefully someone will add it to a collection then.
Reeltyme
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I still need a Gayle Simplicity No 1, but I have all the rest. There are also many variations. Here is a member display with all of them:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... simplicity

I would say that these were inexpensive fly and ice fishing reels for the average person. They certainly were not the top quality and materials, although the number 6 does approach what we might consider acceptable quality today. An inexpensive working man's reel for the depression years.

Also notable is that there is a Japanese knockoff version, tough to find and famous for incurring Gayle wrath. There is a note in the May 2005 Reel News on that.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle