Mitchell 301 w/ Bent Spindle

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell 301 w/ Bent Spindle

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I recently acquired a Mitchell 301 that I am going to send my son in Florida. He is left handed. Anyway, the main shaft or spindle is slightly bent. The reel functions just fine even withe the bent shaft but the spool does sit a little cockeyed. Can the shaft be removed and be bent safely back into it's correct shape or at least close enough so that the spool is more even?
Joe
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 301 w/ Bent Spindle

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It is possible depending on where it is bent. You will have to be careful not to damage the spool retainer at the tip and be very careful not to damage the plastic sleeve & spool click gear. FYI, new shafts are easy to find and not very expensive.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

id take tommy's advice here very ez to find
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks Tom and Chuck. I took your advice and ordered a new spindle from the bay. The old one could not be straightened (at least not by me) without damaging it even further. I am wondering how the spindle ever got bent in the first place. Everything else on the reel looks good and nothing else is damaged that I can see.
Joe