Eric Jeska's Shakespeare Reel Article - Good Job!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Eric Jeska's Shakespeare Reel Article - Good Job!

Post by RonG »

I just finished reading Eric's ORCA Newsletter article on Shakespeare Style reels. I was really impressed by the amount of information he has put together. Interest in Shakespeare reels seemed to be dormant in recent times, but now have been brought into the lime light. This article and Len's article on Marhoff reels shows what information serious collectors can produce about the reels they love and enjoy.
:cool
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Eric Jeska's Shakespeare Reel Article - Good Job!

Post by Eric J »

Thanks Ron!
I just hope my research helps a fellow collector make a well informed purchase in the future.
Im indebted to Richard Lodge though for his patience with me as I continuously was updating the serial number data, and was just about to send him another updated list when the issue arrived in my mailbox.
If anyone wants an updated list or more details about a particular Shakespeare “Style” reel (photos, sales history, etc.) just let me know.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Agreed. Nice article in another great issue. Eric, if you want another Style “B” serial number to add, here is mine(#279):

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

If there is info and volunteer assistance available, we can build up a publicly accessible section on Shakespeare reels in our Fishing Reel Research site. We recently posted Len’s Marhoff info in that way. Just let me know and we can organize a project.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

That would be an enormous project. Way overdue, too. I have a ton of information, photos and catalogs. I know others here do, too.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Go BIG or go home, as they say!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I say "let's do it".
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Thanks James! That was one of the updates I was going to send to Richard for the article, so it’s already on my list but I didn’t have pictures so thank you!
I would be happy to participate in sharing my info on this site for others to use. Let me know how I can help.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Data is readily available from multiple sources and more will surface when this gets going. Volunteers will be needed. Once we have some volunteers identified to: scope out how big this will be, gather info, decide how it will be sorted out, eventually post text and pics, etc we can check with our hosting service to see how it might impact computer processing/memory/cache/bandwidth resources and then seek Board approval to proceed with a new FRR section project.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

This will be big. Very big. The staggering amount of reel models that Shakespeare produced for themselves, South Bend, Heddon and endless others will make Bronson and Ocean City look like they forgot to build any reels at all. But wow, what a resource if we could pull it off. I'll help any way I can.
Mark
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Only way it will ever happen is to divide and conquer. Shakespeare made so many reels unique to only one type of use it would be an almost impossible task for one person to put it all together. Then you have numerous "regular" baitcasting reels that have very little difference between models. Just a list of the different models is a hundred page exercise.

Divide and conquer. Len has already done the hard work on the Marhoff. Several other models have been discussed either here or in The Reel News. So some of the work is done.

When it is done as Mark said the volume of reels produced will make all others look like they were in reel production as a hobby.

Great idea. Hope it comes off. And I'll contribute where I can.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

For those thinking about how this might piece together, for pages on the ORCA website the capacity available is limited and costs money so there needs to be very heavy editing and the number of pictures would need to be very tightly limited... much more than we did for Bronson and OC. We can’t have 6 views of the same reel, for example. By all means a repository of digital data could be assembled but for the purposes of putting it on display inside the ORCA website it has to be limited to the executive summary. There are Shakespeare product lists in the library and just one of those lists would be a huge burden to display as text alone on web pages. Having fun yet?
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If it happens I hope the spinning and fly reel elements aren't overlooked.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

What about Saltwater? How about tournament casting? How about Surf Tournament casting? Then there's under rod reels, musky, left hand, on and on. HUGE project.

Colby
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

To make it a meaningful resource, it would have to include them all. IMO.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great inputs! This is exactly the sort of discussion needed to come up with a plan!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Back before Harvey Garrison passed, I was trying to collect pre-1920 Shakespeares. But I was becoming frustrated in that I kept on seeing the exact same models of Standards and Professionals (and other models) that had different handles and/or handle nuts and screws and other miscellaneous differences when theoretically those reels should have been identical to each other.

So I called Harvey one day and posed the question to Harvey regarding whether we might be able to come up with something that would help to correctly identify handles for those Shakespeare reels that were pre 1920.

Harvey actually laughed and quickly responded that he didn't believe such was possible in that collectors and/or "users" had engaged in so many "change-outs" using South Bend handles/parts that it was now difficult to know which handle was truly correct for most reels made during that time frame.

Obviously there are some models that we can clearly see in the early catalogs and can identify and describe with certainty. And if we limit our scope to just particular (limited) models, it becomes feasible.

It would be a herculean task if we only tried to correctly identify and describe the Shakespeares that are pre-1930. I do not wish to be a wet blanket, but I don't think it's possible to complete any project that attempts to identify and describe the entire scope of Shakespeare.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I agree, it would be a daunting task. I’ve been concentrating on pre-1910 Shakespeare baitcasters, but have drifted off course a few times and have included Shakespeare auto fly reels. Even then, among those two small sub-groups there are many many variations. But count me in, and when we figure out a format I’ll add what I can.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Shake Freaks,

Well, most of you know I have US Trademark & US Design Patent databases, and would be glad to share for this monster effort, first Shake TM below, 34 in all through 1963, maybe some after I could run to ground. Colby and I didn't put these databases together to keep to ourselves!!

Alan

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Maybe consider doing the project in stages. Perhaps do Wm. Shakespeare Jr. Co. to 1915. Then do the Shakespeare Co. from 1916 to WWII. Then post-war. Just examples. Could be done any way at all in different stages. I know I have just about all the catalogs from 1930 to 1980 and several prior to 1930. That's a good start as far as models that were available.
Mark
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

I'm still waiting on the US Mail Turbo-Burro to bring my Reel News so I can read Eric's article and see what this is all about, but I'll be glad to assist in any way I can.
ORCA Member
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I’m afraid after all that hype you will be disappointed. I appreciate all the kind words, but I found Steve’s, Roger’s, and Alan & Linda’s articles much more interesting! Style C’s and B’s show up on eBay all the time, but not Brinsmaid’s, Keifer’s, and Kewell’s. The hunt is ON!
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

I don't know, Eric. I can at least spell Shakespeare to put in the ebaay search bar. But then, I've had years of practice. I thought your article was great - I know a lot more about the Style reels now and feel good that someone out there is capturing what we do know about them and it won't be lost.

With this article and Len's great writeup on the Marhoff's, we have a good start on capturing the extent of knowledge on four of Shakespeare's level winding reels. Its a great start!

Now, all we need is to continue on to capture our combined knowledge on the rest. Let's see, that covers 4 of the 51 (give or take 1 or 2) Shakespeare named "Styles" of level winding reels prior to WWII. Not to mention all those by KTC and then all those "Trade" reels. Haven't even mentioned the early non level winding reels. Then there are the fly reels, ocean reels, and then ... after WWII...

Did someone say that this is a daunting task? What else would we do in our spare time.

OK, I'll take on the 1960 Criterion (I kind of have a head start there), then move on to the Superior, Kalamazoo, Superior-Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo-Superior, and the Ideal. What we really need is some discussion on how to approach this, especially using common terminology, how much is enough, etc. We can't go whole pig, as space IS a consideration. For example, my Criterion write-up is over 70 pages long, not counting appendices. While I don't want to lose it - I recognize now that that is not the way to go for everything else.

Carl
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Carl-
70+ pages on just the Criterion alone! That’s amazing! That’s called a book!
Here’s two Superior-Kalamazoo reels that belonged to Wm. Shakespeare Jr.
The first is a 1918 with the stabilization bar above the LW, and the second is one of my favorites just because of the Art Deco styling from 1937.

Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

Thanks for sharing, Eric! I think it's cool that we have the opportunity to see Shakespeare reels that the founder of the company actually owned.

I find it interesting that one of the reels has the "front loading pawl" that only lasted ~1918-1922 and was put on a low percentage of the Shakespeare level wind reels produced during that period.

And, I agree, all of the later S-K's were definitely on the prettier side compared to the average Shakespeare - my guess they helped lead to the even more "engraved" Criterion 1961, that, although more cheaply made than the Criterion Deluxe 1960, sure bring a lot more $ than the original does these last few years.

I am going to call the Criterion "book" good here shortly and move on to some of the others. Carl