Can any one here ID this one?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Can any one here ID this one?

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Out of my six gallon milk crate purchase comes this mystery, to me, old reel. It is unmarked, maybe a trade reel, except for the molders mark on the inside of the tail plate, a stylized RS in a circle, too small to photograph but sketched. The clicker ring is round not flat wire, and the button is a flat top Hersey kiss. A True temper handle fits on the square bridge post. Bridge functions very different from Penn with springs at right angle not parallel to spool shaft . Only 5 bolts per side for a 4 post reel with 3 in the stand that also incorporates 2 of the posts. My first guess was an old Ocean City based on the bridge post , but thinking must be another maker now as there are so many differences from what I’ve found on the OC’s. Can anyone shed some light on this old timer?
Thanks
Bob

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Can any one here ID this one?

Post by john elder »

Bob, the "flat topped Hershey's Kiss" screams H-I or Winchester, depending on timing of birth! Most likely H-I, since they made that type reel and a lot of them were never named.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Thanks John, does the molders logo sketch, RS, ring any bells, you can see it's location on the inside of the tail plate above the clicker wire. It is perfectly upside down when the reel is mounted to a rod
Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

No help there, Bob...perhaps Mike Cacioppo might have insights, since such marks were also on Penn reels, I believe. My guess is that they farmed out the molding work and the "RS" denotes the jobber used, but don't have confirmation for you.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Looks a lot like a Bronson reel to me. Similar to the Bronson Corsair. Jeff
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Thanks Jeff, I'll start digging there.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I suspect an H I. Early example.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

The general appearance is very similar is size and proportion to my H-I SEABRIGHT trade reel for Abbey. The Bronson lead from Jeff Johnson brought me to an earlier thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21254&hilit=bronson+corsair

That is Wayne Benson’s photos of his Bronson corsair 150 below. I’ve combined his photos and noted some of the exterior similarities and differences compared to my mystery reel
Similar;
1 Eccentric Shape
2 Eccentric dome attachment
3 3 bolt stand with 4 pillars, fastened with 5 bolts per side
4 Shape of bridge hump
5 shape of drag star
6 shape of the metal handle
7 “Bullseye” handle attachment nut
8 Hershey Bar shaped foot
9 Holes in stand
10 Clicker button shape
11 Tail plate bullseye bushing nut
12 Clicker ring attachment

Dissimilar
1 Handle shape
2 plastic vs metal spool
3 Counter weight shape
4 Foot not stamped
5 No dimples on tail plate at 12, 4, and 8 o’clock

I’m going with earlier version of the Bronson. To me the most unique feature is the 5 bolt construction for the 3 bolt stand with 4 pillars. I’ve seen stands welded to pillars but here pillars number 2 and 3 are slightly shorter to fit inside the stand flanges and not permanently attached to the stand but aligned and fastened by the bolts through the stand.

Thank you all for the input
Bob
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MADE-I ... SwUC1bUhkn

The eBay link above has terrible pictures but it does show the Corsair with the dimples on the tailplate. Jeff
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Thanks Jeff,
There is really an excellent source right here on ORCA about Corsairs and other Bronson's, I was just getting too punchy when I got to it, but will hit it another day.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I too believe it's an earlier unmarked Corsair, with the early metal spool and grip and likely a trade reel for a certain retailer or wholesaler.
Mark