Play time at the Elders!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Play time at the Elders!

Post by john elder »

John and Dan on the floor of the play room, having fun with Dan’s new toys! He’s holding his Mitchell-Henry prototype reel from the Mitchell-Henry estate and I’m holding his latest acquisition, a HUGE Seven Seas reel he brought back from New Zealand via Australia via Thailand via L.A., in a carryon bag, no less! That reel has a 10” diameter, weighs in at 24 lbs, and is stored in that metal container in the foreground. Who needs Toys r Us!!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Play time at the Elders!

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Cool Stuff! Merry Christmas.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

BIG Toys!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Cool reels boys !!! Giant !! Congrats Dan John Taylor
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Holy Smokes! :jump: Those things are way bigger than Ed's head! :bow:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Good Grief! I didn’t know they got so big! What a workout!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Ha haaa! Nice stuff! I was wondering who outbid me on the Mitchell! Hey Dan looks like you just got off the plane! We’ll speak soon, Tight Lines Nick
PS See you in July
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

NICE!!! :bow:
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Yikes. I thought fishing for the blue whale with line and tackle was banned by some international treaty. But, if not, that’s the perfect reel for it.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Looks like big fun. Congratulations on the new toys Dan, I guess Christmas came early!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

:shock:

:bow:
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I finally got around to taking more pics of Dan's Seven Seas Super Big Game reel. I'm not inclined to go digging around inside at the moment, but don't expect to find anything exotic in there....but maybe when the deck clears a bit, my curiosity will win out and I'll take a peek! I've included a shot of the info on the original owner from the canister...maybe our ORCA sleuths can read the sketchy printing and track him down!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

That is one fantastic reel. Thanks for the photos John and congrats to Daniel for latching on to it.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

"Richard Butler, Malvern Wells, England". The name of the road is nearly impossible to decipher.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, no one can accuse me of having a photographic memory...was just searching the archives for info on both this reel and the Mitchell-Henry and up pops this thread, started by Mike Cacioppo about the reel being posted on Facebook:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20382&p=92804&hilit=Mitchell+Henry#p92804

So, the search was started for this owner, but don't know if it was ever chased to an end....and the thread ends with a wish by Dan Z, now come to fruition!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

THANK YOU ALL for your kind comments and if anyone has more information on the EPIC REEL, I'd love to hear anything at all. Maybe 5 years ago I saw a picture, and tracked it down to New Zealand through another reel i was hunting down. The guy said "I know who has probably the biggest vintage big game reel in the world"... and i made the connection, where is said "I've turned down $10,000 USD for the reel and many people have tried to temp me through the years and Ive said no to all.... but the timing in good, and the door is open to discuss". So i booked a flight, then another jumper flight, then rental car, 5 hour road trip... and alas.. made the deal and have been HIGH ever since. Looks and feels solid and well made- like a Hardy Zane Grey, also made in the UK. It was previously listed at some auction house in NZ where it went..... wait for it... UNSOLD! Until the last owner scooped it up - post sale. It came FULL with Linen Line, and i made 4 flights first with all the line on it (around NZ, Australia, then Thailand), trying to make it seem light as i walked it through carry on... (7kg limit- yeah right).... you should have seen each of the faces of the people X-Raying it though security. I told them its the biggest fishing reel in the world, and it had to stay with me please.... and each time a small crowd gathered and supervisors came around and they all marveled at the reel... then let me pass with a smile. Then in Thailand I took all the linen off and carried it home on 2 more flights. Safe and Sound in my case amongst the other treasures I have hunted down far and wide. I LOVE VINTAGE BIG GAME TACKLE! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A BIGGER VINTAGE BIG GAME REEL OR ANY MORE INFO ON THIS MOBY DICK? Thanks! Daniel Z
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

If you go in a dark room and expose the can to ultraviolet light, you might be able to read the street name. Its worth a shot anyway.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

As you say "EPIC"! I'm sure it's a center piece! Tight Lines Nick in NY
A Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year Everyone!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

THANK YOU ALL for your kind comments and if anyone has more information on the EPIC REEL, I'd love to hear anything at all. Maybe 5 years ago I saw a picture, and tracked it down to New Zealand through another reel i was hunting down. The guy said "I know who has probably the biggest vintage big game reel in the world"... and i made the connection, where is said "I've turned down $10,000 USD for the reel and many people have tried to temp me through the years and Ive said no to all.... but the timing in good, and the door is open to discuss". So i booked a flight, then another jumper flight, then rental car, 5 hour road trip... and alas.. made the deal and have been HIGH ever since. Looks and feels solid and well made- like a Hardy Zane Grey, also made in the UK. It was previously listed at some auction house in NZ where it went..... wait for it... UNSOLD! Until the last owner scooped it up - post sale. It came FULL with Linen Line, and i made 4 flights first with all the line on it (around NZ, Australia, then Thailand), trying to make it seem light as i walked it through carry on... (7kg limit- yeah right).... you should have seen each of the faces of the people X-Raying it though security. I told them its the biggest fishing reel in the world, and it had to stay with me please.... and each time a small crowd gathered and supervisors came around and they all marveled at the reel... then let me pass with a smile. Then in Thailand I took all the linen off and carried it home on 2 more flights. Safe and Sound in my case amongst the other treasures I have hunted down far and wide. I LOVE VINTAGE BIG GAME TACKLE! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A BIGGER VINTAGE BIG GAME REEL OR ANY MORE INFO ON THIS MOBY DICK? Thanks! Daniel Z

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25
In my part of the world, you have done the impossible and posted this tomorrow. The date on this post is December 25, it is now December 24 in New York. Your buying adventure begins in futuristic fantasy and that is truly where it belongs. In my life I have never seen anyone go through this much time and travel to buy a item. If anyone truly deserves this fantastic piece it is you. Congrats on your find and Merry Christmas!

Mike C.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Mike C and everyone who posted here - I’m just reading some of these comments and really appreciate your feedback- it was 2 years ago and I still love this reel and the adventure! But still have not found out anything else on the maker - still on the hunt ! Thanks and take care - Daniel z
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Dan Z wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm ... it was 2 years ago ...
That explains why you guys aren't wearing masks ! :lol:

Nice reel Dan !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

I remember this reel well. Before it ended up in New Zealand it was sold either at Mullock Madeley or Nock Deigton auctioneers. I believe it was from an estate in the Midlands, similar area to Malvern Wells. I did cover it in the Antique Tackle Observer at the time.
I have over the years tried many times to locate the manufacturer, Bournemouth, I believe with no luck.
Do you have a better pictures of the address. I know Malvern Wells reasonably well and it is a small place with a couple of other small villages so it might be possible to trace the house and the person.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Stef, is there a “peachwood Road” there? Unfortunately, a blowup of the pic above is about all there is. I will look through old pics and see if there might be a better guess.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

john elder wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:05 pm Stef, is there a “peachwood Road” there? Unfortunately, a blowup of the pic above is about all there is. I will look through old pics and see if there might be a better guess.

John
No Peachwood road but I will continue looking. Its about 50 miles from where I live and pre pandemic I regularly visited the area to see a customer.
It looks like there is the name of a house on the address. Its not a large place famous for Malvern Water which bottled there now.
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Sorry for intruding, but I love a good hunt! I Googled a "list of street names in Malvern Wells" and found that there is a Peachfield Road listed. Looks like it could fit what's on the lid.

J.