Hardy Andreas Fortuna 9"

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Chappie
Big ORCA Fan

Hardy Andreas Fortuna 9"

Post by Chappie »

[timg][/timg] Hi all,
I have just picked up a Hardy Andreas Pat#123405/18 Fortuna 9" reel that is in a bit of a sorry state. It appears that after it had been painted orange someone decided to remove the paint. As I am keen to restore this any tips will be very much appreciated. Also any idea of value will be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Chappie

PS I've tried to upload photos however the file sizes are too large. Can you please advise how I reduce them to an acceptable size.

Many thanks - got theree finally :D

[tim g][/timg]
Last edited by Chappie on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Hardy Andreas Fortuna 9"

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Re-set your camera to the lowest Setting VGA? If you are using a cell phone, I'm not sure how you lower it but it has to be set as low as you can for it to upload. I am not techical as many are.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Chappie, i find if i mail the pics to myself, AOL reduces them for me. Not sure if gmail and others do this, but worth a try. They will then easily load after cropping out toes and assorted pets in the pics.

Re restore, if you decide you don’t want to tackle it yourself, give me an email... i can likely help!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Chappie
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Chappie »

Hi John,
I am a rod builder and have done restorations on reels but not of this rarity.
It appears only 46 on this particular model were made between 1934>36 and mint unit sold in the UK in 2012 for an outrageous amount. Because of that I need to get this right and will appreciate all help.
I also have the rod the reel came with (photos enclosed) that I hope is also Hardy. As it is in very bad condition I will also appreciate any pointers with that.
Kind Regards
Grant
0Game%20Rod%20%2811%29.jpg[/timg]
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

A kinder, gentler stripper you can use to get the orange off the spool is CitraStrip, which doesn’t have the methylene chloride thats in the flesh-eating strippers. If that doesn’t cause any paint movement in a half hour or so, you may have to use the stronger stripper. Either way is preferable to sanding/scraping, MHO.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures