Murphy Troller article in CAFTA Newsletter

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Murphy Troller article in CAFTA Newsletter

Post by Paul M »

In an unusual move caused by a mail strike in Canada, the Canadian Antique Fishing Tackle Association (CAFTA) just posted a digital copy of its Winter 2018 newsletter on the Ontario Lures website for all to see. It includes an article on the Murphy Troller combo that I helped research but was primarily the work of CAFTA's Ken Kerr. I thought some of you might be interested to see the article and the other pages in this newsletter:

Here is the public message board link to the pages. The Murphy Troller article is on pages in the second and third file (Centre Spread and on Page 4).
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Murphy Troller article in CAFTA Newsletter

Post by wrong99 »

Interesting reading. Thanks, Paul.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very interesting. Also great to see that they have a link to orcaonline.org. I will say that you really haven’t fresh water fished until you’ve fished Canada. Just unreal lakes and forests.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I may have had something to do with the ORCA link on the Ontario Lures website.

I should have mentioned that ORCA member Charlie Tanner inspired me to start researching this story. He contacted me trying to find out more about this reel maker. I did what I could but hit dead ends early on, so I got Ken Kerr involved. Ken found most of the facts but what he found was mostly about the cast of characters. It is a story about a Canadian made reel (at least to begin with) and we didn't turn up anything on the making of the reels other than the various specimens and the patent. So that is why it ended up being an article in the CAFTA newsletter and not in the Reel News- at least not yet.

As a point of interest, CAFTA pays nothing for articles and does not cover research expenses either. It is strictly voluntary.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

CAFTA pays nothing for articles and does not cover research expenses either.
Research expenses!? Someone on the planet besides NIH covers research expenses!? :yay

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."