Vol Hope Shakespeare?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Vol Hope Shakespeare?

Post by 40fordflathead »

Looking for help with a reel. I have a reel marked Vol Hope 60-80 yd size, non level wind, counter balanced handle with ivory colored knob. Chrome over brass, jeweled caps. Looks like a Shakespeare based on similar pictures I have looked at. Is it a Shakespeare? Trade reel? I would post pictures but that is beyond my ability. Thanks in advance Bruce Harlan.
Bruce Harlan
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Vol Hope Shakespeare?

Post by wrong99 »

Called the "Vom Hofe" Pat. Shakespeare, first introduced around 1910. It was a regular production model from Shakespeare, rather than a trade reel.
Mark
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

I took a look at the 1910 catalogue on the site and saw the “Vom Hofe” Pat. Reel. My Vol Hope is not the same. The Vol Hope is all metal no rubber on the side plates.
Bruce Harlan
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Photos are a must, then.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I too have seen reels with the same markings Vol Hope but the reel looked like a Montague in a size 2 or 3-0....that was many years ago, nothing special about it just simply click.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I saw the pics in facebook. I assume this is the one you are asking about. It is mounted on an H-I bamboo Favorite rod.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I once had a reel made by Vol's brother, Abandon All.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Yes, it is the same reel that Paul has posted. The one I have does not have the yardage marked on the bottom.
Bruce Harlan
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Although it does look Shakespeare-ish, I'm guessing Union Hardware (if the handle is correct).
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

The handle on mine is not the same as pictured, it looks like a Shakespeare Leader but with a ivory colored knob.
Bruce Harlan
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I used to have one marked the same. It is made by Shakespeare. Very rare stamping on a common reel.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I have (unsuccessfully) tried tracking this trade name down for 20 years. I have seen it on 450 yard ocean reels down to fly reels. Most commonly found on the model you posted (not common at all, but I've only ever seen one marked ocean reel and one fly reel and I've seen a dozen of these). I was told by an ORCA member no longer with us that it was a Montgomery Ward trade name from the 1920s seeking to cash in on the connection to Vom Hofe, but I've never been able to connect the two with evidence. The 1929 Wards catalog I have does not have Vol Hope in it.

-- Dr. Todd
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Thank you all for your help! Now if I could only figure out what my Eagle Reel from Bronx NY is.
Bruce Harlan
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

It’s really hard to believe anyone was fooled by that name and thinking it was a Vom Hofe. With all the Dutch people in Kalamazoo you would think that Van Hoff would be a better attempt. But Vol Hope? I know that the Longfellow reels were a cheap attempt to imitate the Shakespeare name, but that’s like building a car and calling it a Furd and thinking people would mistake it for a Ford. Or building a gun and calling it a Winchuckster. I guess that’s why trademark laws were codified. Cool reel though, I’ll be on the lookout for a genuine Vol Hope now.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Teal wrote:I have (unsuccessfully) tried tracking this trade name down for 20 years. I have seen it on 450 yard ocean reels down to fly reels. Most commonly found on the model you posted (not common at all, but I've only ever seen one marked ocean reel and one fly reel and I've seen a dozen of these). I was told by an ORCA member no longer with us that it was a Montgomery Ward trade name from the 1920s seeking to cash in on the connection to Vom Hofe, but I've never been able to connect the two with evidence. The 1929 Wards catalog I have does not have Vol Hope in it.

-- Dr. Todd
I have several Wards catalogs from 1922 to 1935 and there's no listings in any of them for a Vol Hope reel.
Mark