Top Ten freshwater BAITCASTERS?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Top Ten freshwater BAITCASTERS?

Post by Cuttyhunker »

For me the top one, is the one and only, (to me) old closed faced Zebco with a hole in the back, no lever, with a spinning piece of plastic under the hole to thumb for backlash control. It showed up when I was about six and sucked me right into this whole fishy thing, but that's just my private Idaho.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, those are some great reels.

The patina on that Shakespeare Style C 1897 is absolutely perfect.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Mike- thanks for the nice appraisal of my “C”.
I bought that at the Thoms auction (in 2005 I think). I liked it because it still had some of the original oxidized silver on it, low serial number, and it was the only one I had seen at that point with a single clicker slide. Since then I’ve seen a few more, but by far most have the two sliders.
I don’t polish my reels, I just try to keep them oiled. But when I see a nicely polished reel on these posts it really tempts me because they look so good. They are absolutely stunning.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Dr. Elder- Your Wheeler & MacGreggor #3 is similar to the W&M #3 reel from MSU Archives that I included in my last Reel News article, but all of the others I’ve seen have the single half-moon pawl screw access slot in the center of the LW shield instead of two holes like on yours and MSU’s. Do you know which version came earlier?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi, Eric, this is the only one i have owned so no info about those access holes, other than to point out that the W&M “Milwaukee” reel shown in Steve Vernon’s new book has three access holes! No official serial number on mine , other than what appears to be either a Roman numeral II or an 11:

I just got an incredible feeling of deja vu on the foot marking.... have we been over this one before??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

WM reels were made in both GS and NPB. Dr. E's reel is clearly a narrower-spool model than mine. It also has decorated pillars, and the two reels have line guides of different shapes.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Just a great start for 2019! 7 reels in the mail today and I actually get to keep this one! Thanks to my buddy, Doug Whittington and his decision not to start a bait caster collection, I was able to trade him out of this early Shakespeare type C....a great add to start the year, fer shur! (serial #926)

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Great reel, John. Such a classic.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I had the pleasure of visiting John yesterday and seeing that Style C in person and it is a beauty!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great little reels! Gotta love the "C Type" and of course the Henshall reels with their wonderful intricate features. That little hard rubber Miesselbach had a place in my heart for a while too. Here are a couple of great little baitcasters I had the pleasure of owning over the years that have found their way to new homes .... sure wish you could keep it all!

Edward vom Hofe #3 size Kentucky style -

Chamberlin Cartridge Co. - Coin silver, gold fittings with jade sliders and knob -

Gayle #3 - Red hard rubber side-plates -

Abbey & Imbrie - "The Imbrie" Black Bass Reel -

And from England the Kitchens Patent reel (I haven't parted with this one yet)

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Fantastic adds, Ed! Thanks!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Man, Ed, when you come out of your lane, you still tear it up. Those are just some great reels. Thanks for the photos.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I've wanted to get Talbots with all three stampings for some time, just picked the last of them up -- the rare Chicago Talbot Richardson with original papers dated to 1924. Love it. Now I have the same model reel marked with two Missouri stamps and the Chicago one.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Congrats, Dr Todd! Must admit i haven’t even had the chance to fondle one out of that shop, let alone own one!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member