REEL COLLECTING ORGANIZATION

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mcjuhler
Frequent Board Poster

REEL COLLECTING ORGANIZATION

Post by mcjuhler »

I have been away from my time in the field trying to actively add new reel examples to my collection. I mainly have focused on the early Pre-1915 Shakespeare NLW baitcasters, with an emphasis on 1910 and Pre-1910 examples. I have, however, been building up my collection since around the year 2000. At one point I was developing a spreadsheet to keep track of examples as I acquired them. At such time, I was preoccupied with work, family, church, along with other obligations. I have recently purchased some fine examples here and there.
As a result of my love for these early reels, I have began trying to get more organized to not only keep track of the examples in which I have, but also seek out those in which I don’t have.
With this being said, has anyone else happened to have come up with some sort of checklist or better way to make certain what reels are out there which would help fill in the gaps of their/our empty spots in our display cabinets?
Thank you for any help in which you may offer!

Regards,
Mike
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: REEL COLLECTING ORGANIZATION

Post by wrong99 »

Mike, the early catalogs are the only references that I know of that show what was produced. You could easily create a checklist from those. Copies of several pre-1915 Shakespeare catalogs are available right here from ORCA.
Mark
mcjuhler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mcjuhler »

Mark,
Thank you for the advice. That did not even cross my mind. I sincerely appreciate your response!
Regards,
Mike
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Mike, the ORCA Library contains a pdf document entitled "Shakespeare Reel List" which appears to be a list put together by Don Champion in 2012 (there are two documents, the OLD list and the NEW list - I did not look at the old list). It purports to include 1022 reels from 1919-1977. It is a 23-page document. I think that might be what you are looking for. It was presumably created from the catalogs in the library, but I don't know that for sure. Don was the librarian at one time and had easy access to all of them.

This list has not yet been added to the online library, but I bet it could be one of the next additions as we're presently in the process of uploading the library. This is a massive undertaking thus far by Paul Manuel and David Lehmann and we owe them thanks for their hard and arduous work.
Sid Lehr
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Mike is looking for pre-1915 Shakespeare reels, which are not included in the lists.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Even though it isn't what is needed, I added Don's "New" Shakespeare reel list library. It is a huge 28.5MB download so think twice before downloading. The "Old list is available is anyone meeds it.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
mcjuhler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mcjuhler »

Hello gentleman...
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, as it is Truly appreciated !
As my main preference is pre-1915, is there anyone has happened to have put something together which covers this earlier time period???
Also,
How far back do the library contents cover in reference to containing Shakespeare reels ? If these catalogs are available, how much do they run per page? It has been awhile since I purchased some, as I believe back then it was around $.10/page.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

There are 5 pre-1915 catalogs listed in Services>Store>ORCA Library>Shakespeare.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
mcjuhler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mcjuhler »

Steve,
Thank you for the information. I will definitely have to look into that!

Too, does your 2nd edition book cover any of the Shakespeare material?

Thank you again, Steve, for your time!

Regards,
Mike Juhler
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

does your 2nd edition book cover any of the Shakespeare material?
Mike, the book explains and illustrates all the Shakespeare patents and includes a relatively brief company history, but it is not a catalog of the company's reels. Just in case you ever acquire a non-Shakespeare reel, the book includes info on hundreds of non-Shakespeare patents and hundreds of inventors and makers, e.g., the author of Ben Hur, a chairman of the Victor Talking Machine Co., an Indiana murder victim, et al.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Mike,

I developed this list (sample page attached) for my Langley collection, just a simple WORD document that I periodically update. You could do something similar from the Shake catalogs.I also tag each of my reels with information on origin, price, etc.

Alan

mcjuhler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mcjuhler »

Alan,
I appreciate your reply. As I had mentioned earlier, I started off many years ago with a spreadsheet in word to attempt to keep an inventory per say of my collection while I was searching eagerly and rapidly to acquire anything that I could get my hands on. Now, as circumstances have changed, the only access that I currently have regularly is my IPhone. I do not have a laptop and printer setup for my convenience. With due time, this may be a goal.
For this reason, I believe that a reference such as a checklist would be helpful until such time that I get organized and can keep better records not only for my personal use, but also for reasons such as theft, fire, etc.
I must applaud you for your works, as I know that it can get very time consuming!
I, too, try and keep up by attaching informational tags to each reel. Every little bit helps when you want to go back for information may it be where it was acquired, how much you have into it, or to just go back and revisit the joy you felt when you obtained it!
Thank you for your input, and sharing with me...

Regards,
Mike
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I not very astute regarding casting reels, especially Shakespeare, old or new, but the 4th Edition Lawson's Price Guide which you can buy here, has 17 pages, nearly 1000 listings, of various Shakespeare sold reels that, for someone knowledgeable about Shakespeare, may be of some help. Maybe someone with that knowledge and the Price Guide will chime in.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027