Need Help with ID of this reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mmccall
Big ORCA Fan

Need Help with ID of this reel

Post by mmccall »

So far, the closest I've found is the Scotchline #200 which was made in Japan but the body on the Scotchline #200 is oval-ish instead of round. As far as body shape goes, the Pinvin 537 has been closest but the spool is the wrong color and it's missing the little extra nub/finger rest. Can anyone help?

Other than the word JAPAN there are no identifying markings on this reel.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Need Help with ID of this reel

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's a FSD #22 variation from the mid 1950's. Most FSDs are black with a red rotor cup & spool and black drag knob. It was more than likely a trade reel by the FSD maker for another company.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mmccall
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mmccall »

Thank you! Do you happen to know what F.S.D. stands for or if the company is still in business?

The bale doesn’t snap back in place like current reels, I’d like to fix it but need more information.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No I don't, but here's another variation with a different name, Spin Joy.

Most of these type reels were made by the same company and imported by Taico (The American Import Company) and a few others. There were a few main companies in Japan like Arai International, Olympic, Compac, etc. that made numerous value oriented reels in the '50s & 60's which were imported to the US under various name. All a retailer had to do was ask for a different name to be put on a reel if the order was large enough.

More than likely all your reel needs is a good cleaning and bail spring adjustment, especially since it has an external bail trip. If the spring is broken you may have to fabricate one yourself as replacement parts for those type reels are almost impossible to find.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mmccall
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mmccall »

I appreciate your time. Thank you.