Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ...

Post by reelsmith. »

So, who flattered who ?

Kosmic reel on left, JVH on right.

Did U.S. Net & Twine flatter Julius vom Hofe, or vice versa ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ...

Post by Low Profile »

Hmm, I think you've got it right but there again wasn't Ed Payne involved with both Kosmic and, prior to that, with the legendary Philbook & Paine reels which may have pre-dated JVH's raised pillar design. I always assumed that the earliest us net twine/kosmic fly reels were made by others while the later kosmic reels were made by JVH. I just don't know - enlighten us. Sweet reels by the way and thanks for posting.

Low Profile
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Low Profile wrote:Hmm, I think you've got it right but there again wasn't Ed Payne involved with both Kosmic and, prior to that, with the legendary Philbook & Paine reels which may have pre-dated JVH's raised pillar design. I always assumed that the earliest us net twine/kosmic fly reels were made by others while the later kosmic reels were made by JVH. I just don't know - enlighten us. Sweet reels by the way and thanks for posting.

Low Profile

From what I can gather, U.S. Net & Twine was the first maker of Kosmic reels, then Montague and lastly JVH.

The distinctly JVH made Kosmic reels sometimes have an S-handle, all that I’ve seen have the highly stylized Kosmic logo and the tell-tale JVH hole in the foot.

This Kosmic reel has none of those features.

I just don't know either. :lol:

Someone enlighten us.

Dean.

ps - Note the JVH reel has the not often seen click where the pawl is not attached to the click switch, but is on an arm, activated by the switch. Note the rivet below the click switch.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

Here are some variations of the Kosmic Fly Reel.
1. U.S. Net & Twine example stamped "The Kosmic Reel" and 925 on the foot. Note that the foot screw pillars are separated on the 925 whereas on Dean's 926 and a 927 that I have the one wide pillar takes both foot screws.
2. JVH made (hole in the foot) "The Kosmic ", " A.G.Spalding & Bros." (stamped on the face plate), "Julius vom Hofe Pat. Oct. 8 '89 (stamped on the back plate), size 2 Image
3. JVH made (hole in the foot) "The Kosmic ", "A.G. Spalding & Bros." and "Julius vom Hofe Pat. Oct. 8 '89 ( all stamped on the face plate), size 3