Membership Renewal

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Membership Renewal

Post by Russ »

Trying to do a Canadian renewal thru the store and it keeps prompting me to create an account whatever that means . Try signing in with orca info no go try signing in with paypal info no go. I made a donation that was easy but paying my dues is gonna make my head explode HHEEEELLLLLPPPPPP , Please. Russ
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul M »

Russ:
To renew online or use the Store or to download items from the Members-only library the library you need to set up a new store account. It was discussed in the Reel news and the Announcements http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=21751.

Let me know when you set up your store account and I will set it up as a Member account so you can get into the Library. Thanks for renewing.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

Thanks for your help Paul , renewal is done but what a pain in the butt . Thank goodness for ORCA the donations are super easy, Happy New Year.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

ORCA Store Account set up is a one time task. It gives you self-serve access to the ORCA library which is well worth the effort.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

No worries Paul would have been done without bothering you or Roger if the sign in window that popped up said something about a store account is all . Appreciate the work you guys do for the club and hate being a bother cheers and Happy New Years. If your ever out on the wet coast give me a call . Russ
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I can't even find where online renewal is done. Very difficult for such a simple (and important) thing.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Renewals can be done online through this page, for example. If you have not already done so, be sure to create a Store Account with a shipping address. When you renew online when logged into your Store account you will automatically get access to the online store.

https://www.orcaonline.org/product-cate ... embership/
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks for the link, Paul, but why was I not able to find it anywhere?
Mark
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Registration and renewals for online users has been through the store for several years now. If you looked at the menu above, there is a link to "Join ORCA". It takes you directly to the New Membership menu with another link at the bottom to the Renewal page. Easy enough. However, if you didn't create a store account to access the ORCA Store, as Paul has been notifying everyone these past couple of months, you need to do that first. As Paul mentioned, that is a one time thing.

It's very difficult to put all of the links that everyone wants to take them directly to a page that they want "easy" access to precisely because ORCA is trying to put all the links up there so no one has to think. ORCA can put up a page full of links but then people will be unhappy that they have to get through a page full of links.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

There are numerous JOIN pages and entry points in the ORCA website that were set up over time by various website developers and ORCA webmasters for the purpose of showing people how and where to Join or Renew. I just picked the one that was the most succinct. The one presented above comes via entry into the ORCA Store where we want people to go to Renew, to get a Membership for the first time, to buy ORCA merchandise and books and it is also the entry path to the Member's Only Store.

If you click " Join ORCA" on the top of this page, that send you to:
http://www.orcaonline.org/about-orca/join-on-line/

If you click on "Join ORCA" on the top of the orcaonline.org website menu, that send you to this page:
https://www.orcaonline.org/orca-store/o ... embership/

At the end of the day they all get the same thing accomplished. In a perfect world we would conform the ORCA website and Reel Talk and all the hyperlinks for greater efficiency and clarity but it takes volunteers with greater technical knowledge that are willing to step up and do the work.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

There's a "Join ORCA" button located on the Home Page.
There's a "Join ORCA online" link located on the Membership Application in the "About ORCA" dropdown menu.
There's a "JOIN ORCA" tab at the top of every site page.
All of these lead ultimately to the cart used by the ORCA store, for which you must have an account. All online stores require accounts, whether "guest" or not.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I guess it was the "JOIN ORCA" button that threw me off. I didn't want to "Join", just renew my current membership. Thanks for the info guys. Most appreciated.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

There are significant implications in changing “JOIN” to “ JOIN or RENEW”, or just adding a “RENEW” selection or even changing the URL of the Join link at the top of Reel Talk which is why they remain as is. Wordpress and PHPbb is less forgiving than a chalk board.

We could use additional volunteers with technician level knowledge of phpBB and/or Wordpress.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Nowhere in all of those links and newsletters does it tell you how to set up a store account. Clear and precise steps for setting up a store account would sure help. It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.
-steve
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Clear instruction is missing because it takes someone time to write up the instruction and change/add to the website. Paul is doing what he can to get everyone up to speed in the meantime. As Paul pointed out two posts above:
We could use additional volunteers with technician level knowledge of phpBB and/or Wordpress.
With more features and capabilities that the ORCA website offers, things definitely get more complicated. This thing has come a long way and it's just as far beyond any other tackle collector website around with preserving collector generated information, making that information available to the public, on-line registration, the store and now a huge library. However, it's not really difficult to set up an account, nor is it to renew/join. The really funny thing is that people were saying this forum was too difficult when we changed platforms years ago. They were used to one giant message board that they had to scroll through to see new messages.

I don't know if anyone's seen Sid's plea for help , but if you can navigate this forum, you certainly can assist with what he's asking for help with. A few people are putting in the work to help ORCA bring all of this to everyone. It shouldn't be this hard to get help.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

For instructions, please see How to set up your ORCA STORE ACCOUNT

Thanks, Paul. Sorry, but I split the topic before I saw your separate announcement.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I hope it's much easier for New Members to join ORCA.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

That helps a lot Paul. Thank you very much.
-steve