Weird Mercury 2550

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeldealdisney
Big ORCA Fan

Weird Mercury 2550

Post by reeldealdisney »

So I recently acquired a weird Mercury 2550. I have 7 others and none like this. So first obvious difference is the drag knob. I can not find any other , pics or descriptions with a drag knob. So the second difference was the way the model is engraved. Usually the engraving "Bronson Mercury 2550" is stacked. On the new one it says "bronson 2550" and than off to the side it says "mercury". Again cant find another example. I'm new to the forum and have a few more reels I can not find info on. Figured start off with an easy one =)
Last edited by kyreels on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added img tags so that image is shown
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Weird Mercury 2550

Post by wrong99 »

Your reel was produced after 1950, when the A.B.L. adjustment was added to the tail plate. After the war, the design for the #2550 was changed from the prior geometrical design to the engraved fishing scene.
Mark
reeldealdisney
Big ORCA Fan

Post by reeldealdisney »

Awesome. See , I knew it would be easy for you guys. It's difficult to find any manufacturing details online. Even the catalog pages here do not mention a version with the ABL . thank you for the info
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The ABL addition is mentioned in the 2550 Mercury section on this page http://www.orcaonline.org/bronson-produ ... wolverine/
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reeldealdisney
Big ORCA Fan

Post by reeldealdisney »

That's what I get for skim reading and mostly looking at pics..haha. Thanks for the heads up. Orca has been the only consistent source of reel info and I keep those pages bookmarked on my phone. figured it was my fault . :loco:
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

What other reels can someone here help ID? Pictures are always helpful.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006