Early Meisselbach Expert with slide drag/brake

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
srukke
Big ORCA Fan

Early Meisselbach Expert with slide drag/brake

Post by srukke »

I need a little help identifying this Meisselbach. Date range and model would help. Not familiar with any of the Experts that have a slide drag/brake on the back. Appears to brake against the back plate. No pawl or click that I can tell. The front plate appears to have stamping although since it's not in hand yet I can't make it out. A blowup of the pic looks to start with the word MODEL???? Doesn't look like the word Meisselbach. The plates are 3".

I don't know if this is an early version of the Expert. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Early Meisselbach Expert with slide drag/brake

Post by Roger Schulz »

This is probably an early Expert 21 - pin drag. The size is 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches. 1885-1895. Should have 3 patent dates on front. Will not be marked Meisselbach. The small cylinder bullet handle would show the time period as 1886-1900.

Roger Schulz
srukke
Big ORCA Fan

Post by srukke »

Roger Schulz wrote:This is probably an early Expert 21 - pin drag. The size is 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches. 1885-1895. Should have 3 patent dates on front. Will not be marked Meisselbach. The small cylinder bullet handle would show the time period as 1886-1900.

Roger Schulz
I've also been told this is a model #18 with pin drag. I really need to have it in hand to take good measurements on the size. It is supposed to be a 3" plate size reel but I don't have the width. I don't know if it's in Phil White's book or not. From what I have seen, the model 18 is 1" wide and this appears wider.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

It is in Phil's book. The picture make it appear as the wide size to me. Either reel, is a good reel if you are collecting Meisselbachs.

Roger
srukke
Big ORCA Fan

Post by srukke »

Roger Schulz wrote:It is in Phil's book. The picture make it appear as the wide size to me. Either reel, is a good reel if you are collecting Meisselbachs.

Roger
Thanks

Is there a #21 in the book? I have been told it is a #21 and a #18 so I'm trying to figure out which one it is. It is definitely wider than the one I saw in White's book (1" #18).