Shakespeare Reel Part Diagrams and Part Names - Pre WWII

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Shakespeare Reel Part Diagrams and Part Names - Pre WWII

Post by Carl Corey »

I have ten pages worth of "Shakespeare Level Wind, Casting and Salt Water Reels Parts Diagrams and Part Names" for reels prior to World War II. Diagrams came from Shakespeare Reel Repair Parts Price List - Effective June 1, 1940 (Supersedes All Previous Lists) produced by Shakespeare Company - Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.A. The Part names are consolidated from the same document. For the most part, these diagrams and part names can be used for all Shakespeare level-wind, casting and salt water reels made since as early as 1900 and up through World War II. After WWII, it wasn't long before significant changes occurred to Shakespeare fishing reels in terms of mechanism and even types - as we all know.

Prior to World War II, Shakespeare only made one other type of reel - this being the "Trout" reel. Otherwise known today as fly reels, there were two versions - the Automatic Trout Reel and the Single Action Trout Reel (leave it to Len to find that dual ratio fly reel that makes this in error!). Diagrams and Part Names for these can also be obtained from the same document identified above - but someone else can pull that together.

Please consider this as a resource, and it will get to the research site when I can figure out the best way to get it there. I still can't get my head around all of the terms, but we might use it to achieve a little more consistency when we need/want it for things Shakespeare. If you want an early copy, send me a PM and I'll get it to you (might be in a few pieces as my PDF program does not want to cooperate at the moment).

Carl
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Reel Part Diagrams and Part Names - Pre WWII

Post by wrong99 »

I also have a Shakespeare Reel Parts Price list, Effective June 1, 1936, as well as the 1940 issue. If someone can use it....
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Reel Part Diagrams and Part Names - Pre WWII

Post by Paul M »

The Shakespeare section of the ORCA Online Library has been uploaded. If you log into your ORCA member Store Account, you will find 90 separate items in the Shakespeare Catalog section and 40 documents in the Shakespeare schematics section, some with numerous lists and diagrams. In addition, there are also Inglis-Shakespeare and noris-Shakespeare items in the https://www.orcaonline.org/product-cate ... a-library/Library.

If you have additional material to submit or even better quality scans, please contact the Librarian
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006