Ocean City Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Ocean City Question

Post by m3040c »

Trying to find some reference to this Ocean City Model. It is a Ocean City, Model 961, Sea Coast. I cannot find it in any of the catalogs. Finding OC reels with Red Plates is odd to begin with, so this one is throwing me. The box is a copy of the original box and the reel is real.

I am thinking mid--1950's because of the red plates. OC was competing with the Penn colored reels of the same era.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Ocean City Question

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thank you Paul. That added a bit to my search info. Even on the page the info is light and a bit mysterious. It is a strange model because of its color and the fact that it is not shown in the catalogs.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I cant find it listed anywhere either but Ocean City didn't catalog all their reels for what reason I don't know. I have this 961 that reminds me of Christmas!

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I cant find it listed anywhere either but Ocean City didn't catalog all their reels for what reason I don't know. I have this 961 that reminds me of Christmas!

Your 961 seems to have a confusing history. It is a hybrid.....<:O)

I am of the opinion that the end of Ocean City was because of it own diversity. They got so complicated they could not even figure themselves out. Experimental reels at every turn. No idea too crazy to put into practice! They had casting controls, automatic handles of many types, cradle reels and who knows how many other really fun conical drags or starless drags to make all the fisherman wonder whether these reels were from Earth or not. I feel like I have only scratched the surface of Ocean City and I have written a book about the brand.

Here's another one that is in my old files. I believe it has made a showing here in the past; but, I still do not know if it is Earthly or from the planet Ork………….