re-painting spinning reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

re-painting spinning reels

Post by Chuck Gano »

i have to say im not really happy to see all these reels being powder-coated & re-painted with correct paint colors, reason im miffed about this is i got one the other day and it was clearly a re-paint zebco card. 3, after i asked the seller he admitted it was and he didnt think it was a big deal but i did get a refund, apparently they have been doing this for awhile so there proably everywhere by now, am i just old fashioned or is this something? found some FB pages where they show off there wares, the custom colors were ok imo but the ones like the originals bother me a lot.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: re-painting spinning reels

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, it's a disturbing trend. And not just fishing reels, but in many areas of collecting. Especially when it's not divulged up front.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's really a bad deal when they do it with original colors, even if they do divulge it. The next guy will think it's original & either get duped or dupe somebody else. :( They're doing it a lot out of the UK with Cardinals & have been for 3 or 4 years. SE Asia, too. It's happening quite a bit out of the US on Dam Quick wrinkle paint, also.

I don't mind what the Penn & Mitchell customizers are doing since the weird colors they're using are obvious repaints.

The sad reality is it's probably going to just get worse.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Oh yea, we are in Buyer Beware territory here.

This reel is painted.

With this paint.

And here is an original Penn reel. in an original Penn color.

A person like me can be easily fooled. Both these reels are from the early 1960's. Custom colors are OK and being done in massive numbers for resale on Facebook. Counterfeits are wrong and be very careful buying the Black versions of the Spinfisher 710 & 711. Those are money reels and being faked all the time.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Mike Im far from an expert but i heard you can tell a real 710-711 black by the color of the medalion. On my black 710 the medalion is almost silver in color.
-Chris R.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike Im far from an expert but i heard you can tell a real 710-711 black by the color of the medalion. On my black 710 the medalion is almost silver in color.
I never heard that before. Here is my 710. It is not a repaint, in my and a few other opinions. It is also rough. I would make my judgement by taking the reel apart and looking inside. Also the spool is black plastic rather than green plastic. They are kind of tough to fake but I know it is being done. When I see one that is mint, then I am suspicious of it.

g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

https://www.fishingtalks.com/johnson-pr ... 19027.html

just a coincidence i had done a princess cover about a month ago. i can probably sell this now for the owner who also happens to be an orca member. i agree with you members about disclosing any repaint or partial paint done on anything sold,and of course the problem is that the if it gets resold that may not be mentioned.

it really looks like my match is just a bit too lite on the cover, i may do it over.

gene
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I would think repainting a reel that is being used is no big deal. It moves into the Gray area of Fraud when particular colors command higher prices or the seller is trying to present the reel as an original mint or NOS piece. In the Penn world, Spinfisher spinning reels are moving into the collectible zone and they are all painted reels, so repaints are a big consideration.

And then there is the fun aspect of repainting and color freaks. Here is my Penn Spinfisher 714 greenie. It should have a green painted body with a silver anodized spool and handle. I think this is a better look.

Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

yes i like some of the custom work there doing now infact i have a mitch 300 painted with the chi.bears colors & logo, but we will have to watch closely for the fakers.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

we will have to watch closely for the fakers
Yup, there are Fakes everywhere.