Did Fly fishing in US begin in FL in 1764?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Did Fly fishing in US begin in FL in 1764?

Post by Mike N »

A letter now in the UVA archives seems to say so. What reel would have been used for fly fishing in Florida’s panhandle in 1764?

Here is a link to the article published by the American Museum of Fly Fishing:

http://www.amff.org/a-new-early-date-fo ... y-fishing/

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Reeltyme

Re: Did Fly fishing in US begin in FL in 1764?

Post by Reeltyme »

Why would anyone fish for flies with all the wonderful fish in Florida? Aside from the obvious answer to that statement, I would venture a guess that a Nottingham/wooden style would maybe have been the only choice available at that early a date? Just an uneducated guess. :?:
Reeltyme
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

What reel would have been used for fly fishing in Florida’s panhandle in 1764?
Either no reel at all or some tiny imported thing like this, maybe without a check, possibly with a clamp.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

It may be a few years later than the date Mike mentioned, but this is about as close as you might get - a reel that Ed posted awhile back - dated, and just the coolest English side-mount/clamp I've ever seen....
Ed's English Clamp Reel
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Frontispieces from Brookes' Art of Angling, 1766 (left) and 1770 and later editions. See any difference? The angler's reel, unused, is at home, busily adding to its patina.

(BTW, Quasimodo, the ghillie, hasn't aged a bit.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

the sunglasses are a nice touch :D ....need to morph in a pair of hip waders!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

See any difference? The angler's reel, unused, is at home, busily adding to its patina.
:shock: It also appears that carbon emission via the chimney has, to some degree, affected the shade tree! :mrgreen:

EDIT: It my have been the bug invasion, as Steve has informed me, and not the carbon emissions, that decapitated that poor tree. :lol:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Assuming the artist would have noticed a detail such as a reel— and I admit I doubt there was one, because a reel would have required that line guides were also missed by the artist—it still does not explain how the nobleman stored the fishing line when not in use to prevent a bad case of the the tangles.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

People somehow managed to fish without reels for thousands of years, even without the instructions shown below.
These three flyes with the help of the lob-worms serve to angle all the year for the night, observing the times as I have shewed you in this night-work, the white flye for darknesse, the red flye in medio, and the black flye for lightnesse. This is the true experience for angling in the night, which is the surest angling of all, and killeth the greatest Trouts. Your lines may be strong, but must not be longer then your rod. - Barker, Art of Angling, 1659
Now, if you insist on fishing for salmon:
I will now shew you the way to take a Salmon. THe first thing you must gain must be a rod of some ten foot in the stock, that will carry a top of six foot pretty stiffe and strong, the reason is, because there must be a little wire ring at the upper end of the top for the line to run through, that you may take up and loose the line at your pleasure; you must have your winder within two foot of the bottom to goe on your rod made in this manner, with a spring, that you may put it on as low as you please...You must be sure that you have your line of twenty six yards of length - ibid.
Barker's reference to his winder is considered the first reference to a fishing reel in English. Coincidentally, he illustrates his text with a drawing of Ed's reel.
(Please note that all books on fishing in English were required to have the same title until Victoria's reign.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels