Need Help w/ South Bend 1133 Fly Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Need Help w/ South Bend 1133 Fly Reel

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Just recently acquired this reel. It is set up for RHW and I can see no way to convert it to LHW. I have two other 1133's and both are different from this 1133 and are easily converted. I cannot merely flip the ratchet washer over on this one and thus convert it to LHW. The flip side of the washer has gear teeth on it and can only go one way (RHW). There must be another way. Can anyone do this conversion for me? I can mail it to you and will pay you whatever you ask. Thanks.
Joe
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Need Help w/ South Bend 1133 Fly Reel

Post by oldsaltnfla »

oldsaltnfla wrote:Just recently acquired this reel. It is set up for RHW and I can see no way to convert it to LHW. I have two other 1133's and both are different from this 1133 and are easily converted. I cannot merely flip the ratchet washer over on this one and thus convert it to LHW. The flip side of the washer has gear teeth on it and can only go one way (RHW). There must be another way. Can anyone do this conversion for me? I can mail it to you and will pay you whatever you ask. Thanks.
Joe

I can email pictures on request. When I try to upload them here, I get a message that my files are too big.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

The SB Finalists with blue nylon ratchet plate can be converted to LHW. All other models, no.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... how#p89983
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Ron Mc wrote:The SB Finalists with blue nylon ratchet plate can be converted to LHW. All other models, no.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... how#p89983

This is what I was afraid of. Well, I guess I could just leave it as is and still use it as a LHW, just back off on the drag. But, then I am no better off than if it was just the old click and pawl type. I hate to use it that way as it seems like I would be defeating the purpose of having a drag, period. And, I refuse to use a reel with RHW.
Joe
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

There are a lot of Medalist -DA for sale on ebay
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I just placed a WTT concerning this reel in the want ad section.
Joe