aluminum perfection trout

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
roch
Big ORCA Fan

aluminum perfection trout

Post by roch »

:?: I have a model 360 vom hofe and a few parts are made out of aluminum. what i want to know is which part are suposed to be made out of aluminum. I would also like to know how i could get that ebonite to nice shiny black again.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

It is not unusual to find the Perfection (or Peerless) with aluminum spool ends, an aluminum foot or handle. I have seen both a Perfection and a Peerless with aluminum side-plates, but these are thought to be one-of-a-kind reels.

Dean.
roch
Big ORCA Fan

Post by roch »

Good news! I taught for a while that maybe they took a 360 aluminum a a normal 360 and made it into one or something, obviously I am not an expert! so is my reel what you guys call the aluminum version or is the aluminum made completely of aluminum?
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Which parts of your reel are aluminum?

Dean.
roch
Big ORCA Fan

Post by roch »

Im not an expert on metal either but i would say the seat of the reel is made of cast aluminum cause two chips are made on it and it looks granular like cast but one thing for sure it`s made of aluminum. Then the s shape handle is made of a combination, seems like aluminum (not cast) with a round balance weight of a light brass like material and a handle of ebonite with that same brass like material that holds the handle. Inside the spool not the middle which the line gets attached is made of that bras like finish but each side seems to be made of aluminum. What do you think?
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Sounds like a standard-issue Perfection to me.

The bands, counter-balance on the crank, screws, pillars and the sliding oil cap are likely made of nickel silver.

What size is it? Check for a number on the bottom of the foot: 1, 2, 3 ?

Dean.
roch
Big ORCA Fan

Post by roch »

the reel is big in size, # 1, was used to catch sea run brook trout on the restigouche river up home.