Super South Bend ....

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.

Super South Bend ....

Post by reelsmith. »

Has anyone ever heard of a "Super South Bend No. 1300"?

I just picked one up and have never seen one before... it's every bit as high-quality as a Horton or a Heddon. It has aluminum plates, turned german silver pillars, rim mounted click switch and an 1131a style anti-backlash. I have never seen a South Bend reel anywhere near this nice.

Have I just missed seeing one all of these years, or is this a tough reel?

Dean.
Penobscot Bill
Frequent Board Poster

Super South Bend

Post by Penobscot Bill »

Dean...
Jim Bourdon's outstanding South Bend book shows that reel was only listed in two catalogs-1931 and 1932-can you post a picture of that little gem?
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

1300 reels

Post by Jim Madden »

Dean, the 1300 series was produced only from 1931 to 1932, (the 1300A in 1932). It's one of my favorite South Bend models. When you look at other reels from the early 30's the aluminum design seems way ahead of its time. Although most SB reels have a matching Shakespeare counterpart, this one doesn't have an exact match even though there are SP reels with the same name. The South Bend engineers that were stationed at Kalamazoo must have had a field day with this one. At 7 and 1/4 ounces, the reel was light, but the cost was not. It was a whopping $27.50 in 1931, very uncharacteristic of SB bargain pricing. There are two variations of the #1300 but only one of the 1300A (involving headplate detail and removable vs. non-removable level wind gear cap on the tailplate. ) The reels are tough to find in great condition. The aluminum does ding easily, and dulling is often found on the pillars. Collectors have just not discovered this one yet, and I've seen them go for as low as $50 at auction. My book has them listed at over $100. I priced from rarity - not popularity. Someday the price will catch up. Jim
reelsmith.

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks guys !

I'll try to take some pictures tonight. This one is in pretty nice shape... and it spins like a top.

$100 ?!

I'll hang on to this one until the price catches up ! :lol:

Dean.

Post by Guest »

Sold one for somewhere around $140 last winter. Sorry, but I must have deleted the pics. :Bawl:
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

3 variations

Post by Jim Madden »

I've posted (I hope) a pic of the three variations. Noticed the 2 #1300's on the box. The one on the left has 4 screw ends showing through from the inside, and the one on the right has three. (The screw end missing is near the word "Super"). The change was a minor redesign on the inside. The #1300A beside the box has the removable level wind screw cap as apposed to the fixed cap of the #1300's. The "A" suffix denoted the change to the removable cap feature. The reels are light and great to cast.
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... page/super
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice! The one on the left looks like new. Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it.

Dean.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Those Nickel Silver Pillars..

Post by Len Sawisch »

...Are not nickel silver pillars but rather plated alloy. In fact a light cleaning will take the nickel plate right off (speaking from experience). I have four and only one still has the plating on the top front pillar. :(