Help with Julius vom Hofe fly reels?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

Help with Julius vom Hofe fly reels?

Post by JeffK »

I've fly fished for 45 years but it's only in the last year or so that I finally spent over $50 for a fly reel. Being a vintage bamboo rod collector I decided it was time to match up appropriate reels with period rods. Unfortunately, I don't have the right references in my library to date and/or value the two reels I need help with.
The first is a little (1 7/8" side plate) reel that I've concluded is a JVH by virtue of its style and of the presence of a hole in the center of the foot. I was quite taken by its obvious quality when I saw it at an estate auction recently and was delighted to hear the auctioneer describe it as a 'casting reel', believing that the more ignorant you can keep the other bidders the better your chances. Anyway, it's mine now.
The second reel is clearly marked as a JVH for Dame, Stoddard and Kendall, which to me dates it as 1900 or earlier. It's in need of a thorough cleaning (as you'll see in the photos) but I'm told it's in very good mechanical condition.

Both reels can be viewed at www.myfishingpictures.com Do a search for "JeffK" and they're both viewable in my gallery, along with any information I have on each.

For each reel I'd like to know: 1)vintage,2)model,3)value

Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Also, any Kosmic rods or reels you can give me will also be appreciated. *g*
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

Info somewhere else?

Post by JeffK »

Can anyone direct to a website where I might find out something about these reels?
Thanks.
reels4me

Reel site

Post by reels4me »

You are at the correct place. If you could furnish pics of both sides
and bottom plus dimensions of side plates and length of foot would
help, I`m sure someone would respond.
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

JVH?

Post by JeffK »

Foot 2 3/8" in length w/ hole in the center, handle 3/4" from hole center to hole center, brightwork all seems to be plated brassImage[/url]
Image[/url]
leonart2000
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Help with Julius vom Hofe fly reels?

Post by leonart2000 »

hi all
looks like I have same reel although image links are gone

heres mine attached

mine is a heavy patina ...looked at first to be brass but with a little thumb grease nickel shines thru nicely
so its nickel silver reel

in terms of cleaning...good old polish ?
mines a JVH
foot 2"
handle CB 1 7/8 across span ...so from centre half that
2" dia
drum 1 3/4
any idea which mddel in lawsons or correct value
leonart2000
Big ORCA Fan

Post by leonart2000 »

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The patina looks nice to me. It isn't exactly suffering from active corrosion, so why try to make it look like new? If you want to anyway, there are loads of instructions on the cleaning and restoration page. Start by reading the stickies at the top.

You can't put back that naturally aged look once your polish it off. It will tarnish again but it takes a while and it might not come back so rich and smoothly. Maybe it will come back "better" but it is not something that can be controlled too easily. Also, there is a risk that the nickel plating will come off if you soak in heated vinegar/water, for example... although this finish looks solid in the pics. If you have not done it before, try it on a beater first. This one has some collector value given the retailer name.

Paul M
leonart2000
Big ORCA Fan

Post by leonart2000 »

hi paul

that's good common sense advice I will read thru all the cleaning/restoration posts !! in good time :)

I wasnt able to make an exact model match from internet search or lawsons

rich
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Your reel is a "Nickel Plated Brass Multiplying Reel", 2" dia marked Dame, Stoddard & Kendall Boston. It isn't a fly reel. There is a similar but possibly different reel shown in the 1914 JVH catalog shown on page 211 in the Julius Vom Hofe Collector's Bible, 1882-1939. I don't see a D,S&M catalog. There are several D,S&M JVH reels listed in Lawson's 4th edition under JVH and D,S&K. None of the prices in price guides are absolute and some of the older prices were recorded before 2000. It is a relative guide. Look for similar looking reels SOLD on eBay. Also read the Sticky at the top of Reel Talk: What's my reel worth?

Paul
Paul M