HELP ON A(T.W. BRYANT) PAT. NO NAME REEL 1906

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
rayc54
Big ORCA Fan

HELP ON A(T.W. BRYANT) PAT. NO NAME REEL 1906

Post by rayc54 »

I have a No-name bait casting reel in very nice shape (no brassing) that I can see. It is a hinge type, nickle plated reel (I THINK), with a hinge on bottom on handle side, I have run the pat.numbers on this reel from the foot and come up with a name of T.W. BRYANT , of TORRINGTON, CONN. Patented Oct 2, 1906,
Can any one tell me what this reel might be worth/?
and If there were very many of these reel made ! Also has any one ever seen one stamped with this name on them (T.W. Bryant) like I said mine isnt stamped, Just pat numbers,
I was told by another ORCA member (In which I'm not yet ) that there was also a reel somewhat like this made by UNION reel company, In the same town of conn> could it be that this union reel bought out Bryants patient.
I really don't know the rareity of this type of reel , but I know it seem to be as well built as "Meisselbach reel " and look a lot like a meisselbach.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The "Samson" reel was made by Union Hardware, using Bryant's patent. The reel shows up on eBay all the time, so you can check there for current values, determined mostly by condition. Normally, the patent no. is stamped on the foot, and the hinged cover is labeled "Samson" and has the co. name, too. It sounds as if yours could be a "freak" without the stamping on the cover, but we would have to see pictures to see if it's anything more than that.
Reelsptsmn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Reelsptsmn »

A collector friend of mine has another version of this reel, I dont recall the name on it, at this time, but when I get it, I will post it. Yes, I agree that these reels are very "meisselbach-like" but I dont know who manufactured them, for sure. Perhaps Phil will comment on that. Tight lines, Bruce

Post by Guest »

There's another Samson from Union Hardware that doesn't have the hinged cover plate.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Not Meisselbach

Post by Reel Geezer »

I have always assumed that Union Hardware made their own reels, for they did manufacture many sporting items in the 1800s and 1900s. Actually, the only Meisselbach looking aspect of these reels is that they have a tube frame and the crank knob. They are more Meek 33 looking than Meisselbach. The plates go inside the tube, the foot is made from a separate piece and riveted to the tube, etc.
rayc54
Big ORCA Fan

thanks to allon the T.W. Bryant reel (some say samson)

Post by rayc54 »

I want to thank all of you who have posted reply to the T.W. Bryant message, I agree to disagree with this reel being produced by Union Hardware Company,
Tonight I got the bid on ebay On a Union Hardware reel , but it look nothing like the original patent of T.W.Bryant that I got from the patient office for the numbers on my reel.
The one I bought tonight off ebay, has screw in the end plate alot like the Meisselbach 3 screw reel ,I think by Looking at the Picture of it.
But too, I would like to thank NYREEL for getting me in on this auction for the union hwd reel I bought. :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel like I stoled it. thanks
Reelsptsmn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Reelsptsmn »

After consulting with my collecting friend, Al Johnson Jr, I can tell you that there is also a version of this reel, called "Premier". Has anyone else seen this version ? ( I never had ) In his book " Antique Fishing Tackle", Steve Vernon states that these reels WERE made by Union Hardware Co. Tight Lines, Bruce