Gales Simplicity

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Gandy

Gales Simplicity

Post by Gandy »

Hope you folks can help me out on this reel,any info will be helpful.
Gales Simplicity No 6..man. Frankfort Ky. Reel spool is 2.5 " in diameter.Appears to be all aluminum. Is it worth anything?
Thanks, Gandy
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Gayle Simplicity

Post by Richard Lodge »

The reel is a Gayle (with a 'y' - sorry, that's the editor in me) Simplicity and was the one aluminum reel in a series that included a Simplicity No. 0, 2, 4, 5 and 6. Not sure if they made a No. 1. The reel was made from the '40s to the '60s, I think. In excellent condition, they usually go for $35 to $60, if you're lucky. They're especially nice in the box, which was an unusual round cardboard box.
The No. 0 and 3 were sidemount reels, no click. The 2, 5 and 6 are verticals, with the simple click and pawl mechanism. Enjoy it!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The steel and brass models were made from about 1925 on, while the aluminum no. 6 was introduced after WWII and made until 1948. Prices for the Gayle reels and the Japanese repros from the 1930s are probably similar.
Gandy

Post by Gandy »

Richard ...you are absolutely right, (Gayles)I misread it :oops: .Thanks for the info.now, how should I get rid of it? Ebay?
Gandy