Pflueger Redifor

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GeigerNY
Frequent Board Poster

Pflueger Redifor

Post by GeigerNY »

Question on the knob. It is a single counter balanced handle with a bone or ivory knob. The knob is covered with a red substance, do not think it is paint. Has anyone encounter this before and should I try to remove it and if so how.
Help Milt!
Thanks George
Ps. Milt I believe that reel to be an unmarked raised pillar Summit
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:o 8) :) :?: :idea: :
George, without a pic or several of them its hard to say: as for the red color, years ago foks dyed handles that would absorbe a color , served two ides, one, it was easily identified by its owner, two some wanted to inhace the reel handle. and also ivory or bone will absorbe a color easly. Wood also was died rater than painting, as paint would wear off or chip faster. and dyes were easier to come by, ie. wild blue berrys red rasberrys, etc. I would doubt that the factory would do this as that would envolve another cost to producing the reel. labor dyes, drying time etc. I would say that it was done after the reel was sold OR--- a special order item at extra cost from the factory or the handle maker. as for you description You well may be corect, and dont get your hopes up, it could have been another design change by the factory, posible proto type? ANYTHIG could be posible in that early era of improvment. For you pfluger folks please put you thoughts in on this mater. We all could learn by ideas. Col. Milton Lorens aka SWIM JIG