S. Allcock & Co Ltd 4.5" Match Reel Ref No. C330 -

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
acejace
Big ORCA Fan

S. Allcock & Co Ltd 4.5" Match Reel Ref No. C330 -

Post by acejace »

Hi

I have been left a reel - An S. Allcock & Co Ltd 4.5" Match Reel Ref No. C330 - MINT CONDITION IN ORIGINAL BOX - which I might be interested in selling.

I have been led to believe that it is quite collectable but try as I might to find any info on it (google etc) I can find NOTHING !

I can find other model numbers including C340 but NOT C330.
I know its the right number because it's on the box along with words 'Precision made Match Reel' and 'Record Breaker'

Does anyone out there in 'reel-land' know anything about it and also maybe a valuation (£ or $)

Many thanks, Jason
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

Hi there yes I know a bit about them. can you post a picture of the box and the reel. Also a condition & mechanical report. Does it spin? the most important thing about the Aetial reels.
acejace
Big ORCA Fan

Post by acejace »

Hi Stefan

I'm a bit new at this and don't know how to insert pictures in my posting. What I have done though is send an e-mail (+ photos) to your personal e-mail which comes up on your reply posting.

Thanks, Jason
acejace
Big ORCA Fan

S. Allcock & Co Ltd 4.5" Match Reel Ref No. C330

Post by acejace »

Don't panic, don't panic Mr Mainwaring (is that right ? ! ?)
I DO now know how to upload photos but the only problem is that all my photos are too big (they are all 123K(ish) and upload is limited to 64K).

I'll work something out ! But should anyone else require photos then let me know your e-mail and I'll send them direct.

Regards, Jason
Reelman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman »

Here are Jason's pictures.

acejace
Big ORCA Fan

Allcock & Co Ltd 4.5" Match Reel Ref No. C330 - INF

Post by acejace »

It's been 2 weeks now and nothing...

No info, no estimates, no bad news but (unfortunately) no good news either. :(

Help...
If there was anywhere that I thought I would get some info it was here but i'm afraid my poor old reel is not stiring any emotions.

Does anyone know anywhere else I can try and get some more info please ?

Many Thanks, Jason
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I just ran a search in the UK, nothing showing up

here's the link so you can keep trying:
UK ebay search

just don't confuse this reel with the value of a Match Aerial.
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

Hi there sorry for not replying earlier but I am moving house at the moment and all of my catalogues are inaccessible.

Unfortunately as Ron points out someone is getting this mixed up with a Match Aerial.

So a little bit of background information on the aerial reel.

In 1939 Allcock introduced a new Aerial reel, The Match Aerial, match fishing (competition fishing) was very popular in England. It was a magnificent reel but with the outbreak of war Allcock thought that it would be a good idea to move the tools to Birmingham in case the Redditch plant was bombed.

The Germans did not bomb Redditch instead they bombed Birmingham and the tooling was lost.

Consequently with a small production run and no more reels they have become highly sought after and valuable. I sold my example last year for £2,200, over $4,000, as I had bought it many years ago for less than $100 and thought it a good time to cash in.

The reel in question is an Aerial Match manufactured in the 1960’s and the last of the Aerial reels having been originally introduced in wood and ebonite in 1896.

These reels sell for about £100+ in England and with the box should make £160, $300+

Stefan
acejace
Big ORCA Fan

Post by acejace »

Hi Stefan

I hope the move went well.

Thanks for coming back to me but I'm still a little confused by your reply - are you saying that there are two different reels with similar names ?
i.e. theres the 'match aerial' from the 1930's worth a fortune and there's the 'aerial match' from the 1960's worth approx £160 which is the one I've got ?

I've listed it on ebay at the mo' to gauge interest with a reserve just above that £160 figure and a huge buy-it-now to see what the interest is so I wasn't far off the mark then.

Just wanted to confirm the details before I go in amend the ebay listing to say 1960's rather than 1930's and also to know if I could refer to it as an aerial.

One more thing if I may...
The construction of my reel SEEMS to be some sort of light alloy (aluminium ?) would that be right ? - I would say it is NOT bakerlite or similar - what d'ya think ?

Thanks, Jace
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Stefan is defining the history of the design.

Your reel was derived from the older Nottingham style wooden reels

The spoked-spool Match Aerial was originally designed by a (or two) bicycle mechanic(s) and has a line of its own.

I believe you should desdribe your reel as an Allcocks Match Record Breaker Centrepin c. 1960.

where on earth did you get 30s/40s?
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

Henry Coxon invented the Aerial reel sometime in 1895 in Nottingham. I drive by his house once a week and he is buried in the same cemetery as my mother.

The bicycle mechanic is a story that I let slip many years ago based on some lateral thinking I was doing at the time.

The 1939 Aerial Match is worth money purely for the fact that it had a very limited production run. After the war the standard of the Aerial reels declined dramatically because the pre war tooling for the reels had been destroyed in the Birmingham bombings.

Later the Match Aerial was added in the 1950’s to the 1960’s. This reel was made by Young’s and is very similar to the Rapidex type reels.

What you have to remember is that Match Fishing is similar to the Bassmasters, consequently many items of tackle are called "match"

Ron is correct your reel should be described as what it says on the box.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

JW Young apprenticed as a bicycle mechanic, also.

Jace, people could go buy this new handmade reel
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif. ... elID=15180
for your BIN price and still take the wife out to a nice dinner. I believe Stefan was being generous in his valuation.
I do not believe you will make your reserve.

here's an unboxed reel in visibly used condition that your listing brought out of the woodwork.

broken ... 0074591167