Unusual (?) Penn reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mark

Unusual (?) Penn reel

Post by Mark »

Hey all!
New here to the site. It was suggested that I post here to hopefully get an answer to a nagging question on a reel I have.

Now I understand that the Penn 114H is not a typical collectors item, but the item I have seems to be unique. Even some old-timers in the reel repair business around here have not seen such an animal.

Description:
In every respect it looks like any other 114H of its vintage (1960's), except that instead of the typical red side plates, they are black (like the standard Senator). Molded into the sideplate is the 114H insignia, so the sides are not retrofitted from a standard Senator. No one I have yet talked to has ever seen a black 114H. Maybe someone here can shed some light as to the difference.

This reel has never been mounted and is as beautiful as the day it was built.

Some additional info:
The box is a light blue with blue and green fish, and has metal corners. On the ends it states "6/0 Senator; Hi-Gear Ratio; New 114H"

The catalog in the box is number "32B" (whether or not it is the original catalog for this package is not known by me).

I originally purchased this reel to use, but after showing it to a local old-timer, he suggested I get it identified before possibly destroying something unique. I am not a collector, so if this is unique, I would rather see it go to someone who appreciates such things.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mark
ak-fish
Advanced Board Poster

Black 114H

Post by ak-fish »

Hi -- I've seen these before but you're right: They're not common. I have no idea how much it would be worth. I'm somehting of as minor Penn collector and would love to have it but wouldn't feel right even making an offer. Perhaps Brian or someone else on the board could give a vale.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Black high speed Senators

Post by Brian F. »

Bill's right, they are not common but I suspect that there are more out there than people are aware of. Most that come across these older reels may not probably notice that kind of detail in the markings, although the big ole high speed bearing caps (vs. the bushing caps) would be a dead giveaway. It's unusual and I'm sure there's a consistent demand for them among Penn collectors.

A while back, Mark Garnett in FL brought one he knew of to my attention but I can't remember what the seller wanted - maybe $100? The box doesn't sound anything unusual for the 70's version but will help add some value. Nice 114H models in boxes are selling for around $100 on ebay. Someone might pay $150 - 200 for this one? More if you found the right collector?

Otherwise, I don't see any reason not to use it! This fish in my avatar was caught using sort of a Hawaii style version of trolley fishing with a 114HL and 80 lb. mainline (we surfcast 6/0s). Tough, tough reel for our purposesand have not seen anyone break one. I might think twice if you were going to use it for tuna from a boat, as there are lots of better performing reels with frames available now. Even the new Penn frames for the 6/0 are better, I would think.
Mark

Post by Mark »

ak-fish and Brian,

Thanks you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm so glad to finally have found some folks with knowledge of this reel.

As I mentioned above, I originally purchased this reel to use, but opted not to until I found out more about it. In the time that has past while looking for an answer, I picked up two other 6/0's that I have put into service. I therefore do not need to put this beauty into service (and don't think I would want to even if I needed another reel - it's just too unique).

I've decided to list it on eBay so hopefully it will end up being preserved by a collector. I will post back in here in the next couple of days after the eBay ad is posted to let you all know it's out there.

Thanks again for your help!
Mark
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

ebay

Post by Brian F. »

Mark,
Glad to add my 2 cents. Please use the "for sale" forum if you are putting up any ads, especially for ebay.
Brian
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey all,
Just wanted to chime back in here to let you know the listing is now on eBay.

Item number: 3663028215

Just paste the number into the eBay search window, and it will take you there.

I'll also post a notice in the items for sale section per Brians suggestion.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark