Orvis Green Mountain 1

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DoctorFly
Frequent Board Poster

Orvis Green Mountain 1

Post by DoctorFly »

I recently posted a question on another forum about this reel, and was advised to do the same here.

It's an Orvis Green Mountain 1, bought from the bargain bin of their London store about 20 years ago, and forgotten about in my tackle cupboard until recently.

Image Image

I was told originally that it is a Martin 67A, but then that the 67A doesn't have a palming rim.

The click and pawl has a great sound, and, as I'm rapidly falling out of love with disc drags, large arbors with their excessive weight, and plastic gearing on modern reels, I shall start chasing trout with it again this season.

But can anyone tell me if it was an exclusive Orvis design, or had an equivalent Martin model?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Doc
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

that makes it a Martin M 67SS or MG-7SS. (I believe its the former, because the latter is a wider spool)

My first fly reel was the Orvis 1915, which is a marked Martin M 67A.

(do you have the rod that came with it? Mine is a 7-1/2' Fullflex A - great rod)

here is the same reel, BTW, marked as an LL Bean Angler 1

I also have an LL Bean Angler 2, which is slightly wider and fits the spare spool for an MG-7SS.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Ron Mc-Interesting. I have a Martin MG 7SS I used for several years. Fine reel for the price. Didn't know Bean sold it under their logo. Exactly like your pics. All sorts of interesting facts seen here!
Ciao Ron MC and DoctorFly!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Martin MG-7Ss

Post by Teal »

Interesting history behind the Martin MG-7SS. It's referred to as the "Vice Presidential Reel." The story behind it as follows:

When George H.W. Bush was stumping for Reagan in 1984 in South Burlington, he was to be presented with a new Orvis fly rod by the State Republican Party. They went to the fly shop of Farrow Allen to pick up the rod when Allen noted they should get a reel for it. The woman in charge of making the purchase was a well-known (and notoriously frugal) Vermont state senator. Allen recalled:

I pulled out a Hardy Marquis reel that I thought fit well.
"How much is that," she asked. When I told her it was $125.00 she snorted, "That's too much. Haven't you got anything cheaper?"
I reached down on a shelf and pulled out a Scientific Anglers reel for $80. That was too expensive, she said. So I went to the bottom shelf and brought out a Martin MG-7. It was $39.95.
"I'll take it!" she said quickly.
I asked her what kind of line should I put on the reel.
She looked at me as if I had insulted her. "I think the vice-president can afford to buy his own line!"...
And that was that. She ordered the man [with her] to pay for the reel (cash) and they rushed out of the store as they had raced in. And ever after the Martin MG-7 was known as the Vice Presidential Reel."

From Bill Mares, Fishing with the Presidents (1999).

--Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Dang, Teal! I've got a historic reel! Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

that's an historic, conservative reel.