Eton Sun - Heaton's

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
tackler
Frequent Board Poster

Eton Sun - Heaton's

Post by tackler »

Have a very nice looking Star Back woden reel - marked "Sun" and with the patent No. 13388/85 - a patent which I and many other haven't been able to find. The patens number would fit the year 1885 - however, nobody seems to recon. the patent. Who made the "Sun" Starback?

Another Star Back marked "Triplelife" and additionally stamped "Heaton's" which I hope that Eton Sun could tell me more about ?

Thanks
Tackler
Eton Sun
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Eton Sun »

OK. the 13388/85 patent was taken out by Heaton's in 1885, and relates to the use of brass linings in reels to prevent against warping. The wood and brass "Sun" nottingham style reels were made from around 1885 right through until the early 1970's (a few were a little earlier as this system was in use a year or so before 1885). This patent has been applied to a range of nottingham and sea reel designs over the years.

Eton Sun has been muted by members of the family to be nothing more than a shortening of Reuben Heaton & Sons Ltd. Also one of the family houses was named Eton Sun. This name is stamped on a lot of the cheaper reels.

Re the "Triple Life" name, this appears on only a few wooden reels, mainly sea reels and was intended as well for the colonial markets. It relates to the "Three life Check" or "Triplicate check mechanism pat No 23885 used on these models which is a heavier duty.
tackler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by tackler »

Wauw - completely new info for me on the Eton-Sun - great, I appreciate it.
Thanks
Tackler !
Aussie Steve
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Eton Sun - Heaton's

Post by Aussie Steve »

Hi, I noticed this post about the Heaton 13388/85 sun reel and was happy to find this site with much helpful info.
I was wondering a couple of more things about the estimated value of one of these reels also my one is missing the clicker button on the back of reel it just has screw thread sticking out and was trying to see if I could get hold of one to make my reel complete.