True Temper Uni-Spin 63R

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ak-fish
Advanced Board Poster

True Temper Uni-Spin 63R

Post by ak-fish »

I just picked up a True Temper Uni-Spin 63R and rod in what appears to be great shape. But I can't get it open! Can someone tell me how to remove the cover so that I could, if I wanted, change the line? It seems like it should twist off, but I can't budge it with fairly serious pressure from a rubber strap wrench. The side plate screws are apparently frozen as well; there doesn't appear to be any corrosion but I'm afraid I'll bugger them if I put any more pressure on them. Any suggestions? Also, this is the first Uni-Spin I've seen. How common are they?
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

To: ak-fish,

When facing the front of the reel, the red spool cover should turn about 1/2" counter-clockwise within the black reel body to release the locking mechanism and then pull it straight out. The cover goes back into the reel body about 5/8" so it could be stuck substantially if there's any corrosion.

If it won't budge, I'd recommend soaking in WD-40 or Sili-Kroil penetrant for a while. Good Luck. --- ED
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

..what Ed said...those reels are notorious for sticking. I've had one since I was about 12 (physical age...I'm still about there mentally). The first time it got stuck, I got carried away and managed to put scratches in it will always grace it's sides. Kroil or something slick around the edge should allow you to "lefty-loosey" that cover off.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

The Rod Reel Combo started out as a Bronson Reel Company Product. True Temper bought Bronson out in 1967. They are fairly common but prices range wildly. I have bought them for as little as $5.00 and early on in my collecting days $125 for a cream and brown colored early version in a marked leather carrying case. Bronson made the rod in two piece, three piece and four piece sections.

The big brother model 66 is a bit more stout and usually commands a greater price to own. Probably a third again the price of the 63.

Many folks here in Bronson still use their 63 and 66's as their everyday rod and reel.

I have seen later versions of the 63 with a Johnson model name.

Dave "O"
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

bronso true temper combos?

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :o :?: :idea: :type: usa < I thought I done a REEL FIX Artical on this COMBO? If not, well that may be in the march issue of the ORCA mag! Look on your assembly, note the push thumb button, just below it is a screw that runs thru the handle! Soak with a bit of oil. try to tighten that screw and then back it out, lift off the push buton and you will see two more screws holding the unit to the rod, soak with oil for a few minites any penitrating oil will work, back out those screws and lift off the assembly that holds all the mechanical parts! Reach inside the front cover where the drag adj is , its the nob that works the drag plus what holds the spinner head on, take that off , then remove the spiner head , now use some WD 40, (UGG!) and spray around the section that the front cover goes on to! also spray lube between the cracks around the body and cover, Very Lightly tap with a pice of softwood, pine will do and tap the cover towards the back of the reel body, then gently turn the cover back and forth , it should start to break lose! If Not one last thing we have done is put the unit into boiling water, and boil for 5 to 10 mins, remove and dry off the unit so you can grasp it and again start to work the cover back and forth! If the unit still wont move, check to see if it was used in Salt water, if so, you may just as well cut the cover off, and buy another cover for it, EBAY folks do list them and parts repair shops still have them, Lets hope its just stuck a bit! not frozen with salt water! Col. Milton Lorens aka swim jig of Amherst Ohio ( )
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes you did, Milt! it's copied and waiting for me to rework a Unispin I bought awhile back...nice article and as usual, a complete description that even a Ph.D. could follow :D
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Bill,

Not on the subject, but I wanted to say Hi to Bill and let ORCA readers know my experience in knowing you...just after becoming a collector about 7 years ago I contacted Bill about a part for a (what I now know) was a very common Penn reel part, Bill sent me the part and advised me how to fish the reel. It has several halibut to it's credit on Tomales Bay here in California. Bill also sent me his "card", a wobble-rite spoon with his reel repair address and phone number on it, which I keep above my repair desk! Great guy and a credit to the organization, in my opinion. Happy New Year to all.

Alan Baracco